Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:13 PM   #1

I just purchased a Canon A540 and one of its features is the ability to store the camera orientation in the Exif properties. So I was wondering if anyone knows of software that I could you to automate rotating my saved files based on this information.
WookieeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:16 AM   #2

If you download the files from the camera using Canon's ZoomBrowser software the files will be automatically rotated.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:23 AM   #3

True, but how do you get them to batch save in the rotated format? When I do an Export Still Images, they remain in their original rotation.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:40 AM   #4

I use Photoshop CS2 and asociated programs where it can easily be automated.

However, other, cheapersoftware exists to do just that kind of automated job; one is the $25 PhotoELF (http://www.photoelf.com/ ). Photos are actually saved in the new orientation.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

How are you downloading the files from your camera to your hard drive? Where are you doing Export Still Images from? The camera? If you use ZoomBrowser, the pictures will be downloaded and saved to your hard drive in the correct orientation, unless in the camera the orientation indicator setting is turned off.

Here's what I do. I plug the camera into the computer using the USB cable and turn on the camera in "Play" mode. The computer detects the camera and starts the Canon download program. I select the pictures I want, the directory I want to save them in, and a file name and numbering format, and then start the download. When the download is complete, ZoomBrowser starts and goes through the pictures and rotates the ones that need rotating. If for some reason the download program does not start automatically when the camera is plugged into the PC, you can run ZoomBrowser and access the download program through ZoomBrowser.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:23 PM   #6

Ok, I'll try it again. I've been using ZoomBrowser, but after saving them when I open the file in Irfanview it is still in the original orientation even though it shows correctly in ZoomBrowser.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:00 PM   #7

Ok, look into it some more and found that there is a checkbox in the preferences section that allows you to have it automatically rotate during download instead of leaving it in the orginal orientation and then using the exif information to show it correctly.

Thanks.