Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

I am on the verge of buying a DSLR. I have a desire to try some things that I hadn`t done before. Previously, I had considered excessive photoediting somewhat taboo and verging on sacriliege, but my opinions on the subject have since been altered and I am resolved to explore that territory. I am particularly interested in trying to fuse pictures together, and perhaps in making collage-like images. I also want to be able to make large prints, perhaps 2 by three feet, and I do intend to shoot in RAW. All of this is new to me, and one might say that I am a tad ambitious.

Given this information, which photo-editors should I be looking at? I am looking for the ability to do the things described above, user-friendliness, and (hopefully) affordable price.

Thank you for your time,

- Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

PS/CS2 is a little expensive according to your specs. But, if you do ever get one or have access to try it, there's plenty of support and knowlege. I would NOT consider it "Friendly" but the people who use it ARE.

If you want a much lower priced item then there's PhoyoImpact by Ulead (PhotoShop originated from the developers of PhotoImpact). It is much easier and friendlier to use and there's plents of support for it too. You can download a 1-month trial version from their website at ulead.com

I have no connection whatsoever with Adobe or Ulead but I use both companies' software.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:11 PM   #3

If you want to start small and FREE, you can try Picasa. It isn't a heavy-duty editor, but is very easy to use, and will suprise you with its functionality. It will do collages and work with RAW, and has some pretty neat editing features. Since it's free, you can download it and try it out to see if it will work for you. On the other hand, as fara as I recall, it won't let you combine pictures together.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

I will investigate those items.

- Bpp
Ballpointpenner is offline   Reply With Quote