Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1

Can anyone give help to a weekly newspaper sports photographer that has stepped out of the stone age and into the 21st century with a D-50 with a Promaster 7500 DX Flash.......Only way to stop Football action is to put my flash on manual mode, which defeats my purchase reasoning for Nikons I-TTL......

Shooting a promaster XREDO AF 18-200 lens at 125 & cranking ISO to 1600 letting the camera choose the Aperture! My local camera shop will let me trade - at no cost - if I'm not happy with my purchase....How much can I gain if I step up to Nikons 600 or 800 flash - if any.

Love the D-50 and everything about it during the day but struggelinging on the field - tempted to go back to my reliable E10 and potato mashing Sunpack 555 strobe - It stopped the action, but blinded half the players on the field!!!

Hoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:43 PM   #2

I'm not sure if I can be of much help, but I'll give it a shot... I'm no Nikon shooter, but keeping theshutter at X-sync (1/500 for the D50?) should freeze action fairly well with the flash - with high speed sync above X-syncthe flash is on for longer, so it gets blurry. From my brief play with iTTL, it seems just as good as Canon's ETTL, and I don't have any problems freezing action with ETTL. Maybeyour flash isn't as powerful as a SB800 and available light is causing the blurring?

I've never heard of the lens you're using, but I get the feeling it's not a fast lens - I find that no matter how good the high ISO capability of DSLRs, having a fast lens is still indispensable. I once shot indoor waterpolo with a Canon 70-210/3.5-4.5 and the results were not good.
TMz06 is offline   Reply With Quote