Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

Will SIGMA EF-500 DG Super works with Fuji S9500?

S9500 trigger voltage is 400V

Sigma EF-500 trigger voltage is 5.9V

Will this combination work? Or is S9500 too high for Sigma EF-500?

lordsbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:33 AM   #2

" S9500 trigger voltage is 400V" means the camera can handle trigger voltages up to 400 volts.

" Sigma EF-500 trigger voltage is 5.9V" means the flash only puts 5.9 volts on the hotshoe so you are safe.

If the flash were putting 400 volts on the hotshoe and the camera could only take 5.9 volts then you would have smoking, arcing and burning problems in the camera!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3

The Sigma would probably be a very poor choice for your camera, since the only way you could control it's output is via manual power settings on the flash (it won't be able to "talk" to your Fuji, other than the camera being able to trigger it).

So, there is no use spending that kind of money on a manual flash (which is what you'd have with it on your camera). All of the nice features you see mentioned in it's description are only applicable for models that it works as a dedicated flash with (and it won't with your Fuji).

My suggestion would be to use an old Auto Thyristor type flash instead.

You can find these for very little money on the used market. For example, I bought a Sunpak 333 Auto a while back for only $25.00 from the used department at B&H, and it was in 10 condition (as new in box). I don't think it was ever used at all (even the manual didn't appear to have been thumbed through, and it still had the original plastic wrap on the flash).

This type of strobe has a sensor built in that measures reflected light during the flash exposure (something the Sigma doesn't do).

With this type of system, you use manual exposure on the camera, selecting the appropriate aperture to match the aperture range setting on the flash for your ISO speed. For example, you may see a setting that shows 3 to 20 feet using f/4 and ISO 100.

Then, the flash controls it's own output within the selected aperture range, based on how much reflected light it sees during the exposure, terminating it's own output when it sees enough light for the selected Aperture Range. That way, you don't have to worry about estimating your distance to your subject for every shot, and tweaking your aperture or flash settings like you would need to do with a manual only flash.

In a new flash, the Sunpak 383 Super would be good choice. It's around $70. It's got 3 Auto Aperture Ranges, a GN of around 120 Feet at ISO 100, Manual Power Settings (full, 1/2, 1/8, 1/4, 1/16), Tilt and Swivel (same specs as my Sunpak 333 Auto, except that my Sunpak 333 Auto also has a manual zoom head built in). BTW, if you're not familar with how Guide Numbers work, that's not how much range you have. You have to divide the GN by the Aperture you're shooting at for range at ISO 100. Then, each time you double the ISO speed, the flash range increases by 1.4x. If bouncing, range will decrease.

There are a number of similar strobes that you can use, and since most modern cameras use more sophisticated systems (where the flash is aware of the camera settings), and these older non-dedicated auto thyristor type strobes are relatively inexpensive on the used market (which is why I could find my latest Sunpak in like new condition for only $25 from a major vendor). I've got some older Vivitars that work the same way (but, mine have trigger voltages that are too high for most newer digital cameras).

Your Fuji is more flexible than most newer models from a trigger voltage perspective (it can take strobes with much higher trigger voltages than a lot of cameras around now). Given a choice, I'd get a strobe with relatively low trigger voltage anyway (in case you ever wanted to use it on another camera).

Sometimes, you can find smaller strobes for even less. For example, I bought a Sunpak 222 Auto a while back for only $7 from keh.com (tilt but no swivel, GN of around 70 feet, 2 Auto Aperture Ranges), and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:28 AM   #4

Be very wary of FUJI`s claims. I have known 2 users who have fried their FUJI cameras. It is a bit strange that they claim 400v , when the most common SCR in use in adaptors are rated at 400v. It may well be FUJI have a built in adaptor, but I wouldn`t know
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:40 PM   #5

Hi there!
I have a Sunpak PZ 5000 flash unit. Is it fully operational with a Nikon D50? Or it is better if i buy a Nikon SB-600 flash unit?

Csaba Emesz is offline   Reply With Quote