Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am completely new to working with external flashes, but I am very interested in getting one to get better looking photos with my Canon PowerShot G5 that I've had for a few years now.

My question is relatively simple. What flashes would people recommend for this camera (for a novice like me)? I'd probably rather not shell out for the 550ex, but I am currently inclined to stick with a Canon flash (mostly because I know nothing, and I am just assuming that compatibility is much simpler when you stay with the same brand).

As far as the kinds of pictures I shoot, they vary, but usually nothing too exotic. Without a doubt, our bulldogs have been the subject of more of our pictures than anything else if that gives you some idea.

I would like to keep things simple for now, but if I should get something nicer for future expansion purposes, etc., I'm open to that.

And if I should consider a third-party brand, I'm willing to do so, as long as I am given adequate assurance that I'll get full functionality out of it with my camera.

Thanks in advance.

ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:39 AM   #2

Hi Nathan,

Among us..I can't recall if your old Canon G5 need ANY canon dedicated flash, but if NOT... I can recommend you the very reliable Sunpak 383, which is an a "Auto" 3 settings flash. More that you really will needed with your old G5 camera.

Good luck!

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote