Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

This is my first post here and Wow this place has alot! I wanted to ask which camera (if any) would work with this flash? I bought this flash many years ago for my Olympus 2100 UZ which has long since died of the common (sudden deathsyndrome) .... If any of you here had one of these camera's then you probably heard of it. The switch malfuntionsand it is done for. I really want image stabilization and the bigger the zoom the better.

I paid over $200 for the flash many years ago and it served me well so I would like to use it again. It's been a long time since my last digital camera purchase which was the 2100 UZ and at that time they were $750 for a 2.1 megapixel! Wowhave price's come down!!

Anyway's does anyone here have a suggestion?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me,

Jeff_in_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums, Jeff.

That's a popular non-dedicated flash with a relatively low trigger voltage. So, it should work just fine on any camera that has a both manual exposure and a PC Sync Port available (some do, some don't). You'd have to check the reviews and specs to find cameras that have both. Most entry level compact models will not support an external flash (and may not have manual exposure ability so that you can set aperture and shutter speed).

A good place to start your search is the Best Cameras List (cameras deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

You'd need to use manual exposure on a camera, setting the aperture and ISO speed on the camera to match the aperture and ISO speed for the selected aperture range on the flash. Then, use a shutter speed that lets in the amount of ambient light desired.

But, it should work just fine that way with cameras that have a PC Sync Port to use one (they'd also need manual exposure ability to set shutter speed and aperture, but most cameras with a PC Sync Port are going to have that).

If you are looking at a camera that has a hotshoe but no PC Sync Port, you can usually find an adapter to convert one (adapter fits into the hotshoe and has a PC Sync Port built in). Here's one example:

You will have some limitations with a non-dedicated flash. For example, if you go with a DSLR, you'll need to use shutter speeds within the camera's sync speed limitations. That means you may not be able to use it outdoors in bright light at wider apertures (because your shutter speeds may be too fast to sync properly with the flash). Sync Speed will vary by camera model (some may be limited to a fastest shutter speed of 1/200 second, and other may be fine at 1/500 second).

But, in most indoor conditions you'd be fine with most cameras having both a PC Sync Port and Manual exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:38 AM   #3

If your camera doesn't have the right connection, you should be able to fire it as a slave with the right kind of slave trigger - one that recognizes whatever preflash the camera puts out. You can damp down the camera's flash with a bit of paper over the front or something like that if needed.

One problem with that solution is that other folk's flashes are likely to set your's off.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:18 PM   #4

Jim and Bill,

Thank you for your quick reply, I was looking at either an H2 or the H5, not sure yet although the Canon's look very good too. I was trying to find the PC sync port listed on these model's but no luck, maybe I should just go to the local Best Buy and give them a look to make sure. I am leaning more toward the H2, I was always one to use the veiwfinder over the LCD screen so that huge 3" LCD on the H5 wouldn't benifit me much. Bill I have seen the slave trigger's before, (back when they first came out) and thank you for the suggestion but I really would rather wire into my Sunpak, being at a party with a slave trigger would not work for me.

Do either of you have a preference in the 10X plus zoom line of Digitals offered?

I will only be using this for the usual family thing and such, so any help on which models to check out would be very much appreciated.

Again thanks for all your help,

Jeff_in_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:52 AM   #5

Jeff_in_pa wrote:
being at a party with a slave trigger would not work for me.

yes if you shield it opticaly, well... if you don't mind using some tape :G

BTW, it's a great handlemount flashgun
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote