Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:44 AM   #1

This is my first post on this forum and I hope you will excuse my ignorance. I have inherited a 300d from my father who was the type to buy every new gaget to come along. He was NOT a photographer and never had this thing out of the box but I am now trying to learn how to use it. I would like to get a flash for it but the flashes mentioned in the back of the manual are now discontinued models. I don't need a very powerful flash but I do need an idiot proof flash that does not require a lot of knowledge to use. I am a total novice but want to learn so this nice camera does not go to waste. I would like to spend as little as possible but will spend as much as necessary to get the flash that fits my needs I just need some recommendations on what WILL fit my needs.

Also, I keep reading about TTL which I have finally figured out to be "through the lens" and I would like to know if my 300d has this feature?

Thanks for any help.
rzarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:29 PM   #2

It sounds like the Canon 430EX flash would suit your needs. It will integrate with your camera in a fully automatic way. The flash does have some manual settings that you can experiment with as you learn more. Finding a used 420EX would be a cheaper option, but the 420EX does not have any manual settings on the flash, so if you think there is any chance that you would get into photography and want to take control away from the camera and put it into your hands, then get the 430EX. If money is no object, then consider the top of the line 580EX.

Learn how to swivel or tilt the flash head to bounce the light off nearby white walls or ceilings. It isa vast improvement over blasting the flash directly at your subject.

The 300D does have E-TTL. This is the exposure system that the camera uses to automatically adjust the flash output.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:51 PM   #3

I'd say 430ex is a good option.

I use a Promaster 7500dx that I got at a bargain price and it works alright. It supports canon's e-ttl.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:15 PM   #4

I like the 430EX enough to buy one.

You can read about Canon flashes and how they work here:

Canon Flashworks

There are also 3rd party flashes like from Sigma that will work with your Canon.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote