Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:21 PM   #1
Default Flash choices for G3

Anyone know where I can find a list of flashes that will work with the Canon G3? Or, can anyone tell me how to make that determination myself. I would like something that is fairly small with a tilt head for subjects within about 20'. Any recommendation would be appreciated.
omega45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:00 AM   #2

The Canon Speedlite 420EX is a nice external flash that works great with my Pro90 and most other Canon cameras. It's pretty smart and powerful. Some perfectionists complain about its lack of manual control, but it works flawlessly for me. It costs about half of the 550EX.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:57 AM   #3

The Sigma 500 DG Super is a virtual clone of the 550EX with all the manual controls for also 1/2 the price (including the wireless-TTL):

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:28 AM   #4
Default the 420 works well

don't know if you've bought a flash already but I'd suggest the 420EX too.

It is about the same size as the G2 & G3 which is handy for packing in a bag. I use a LowePro Nova Micro and camera and flash fit in nice and snug.

The 420 is almost too big when mounted on the camera, so I'd be wary of a 550EX or the Sigma flash. The camera is small and I find that all the weight above the camera makes it harder to handle well.

Having the full manual features isn't something I need to use all that often, but bounce flash is the best. Definitely get a flash with a swivel head.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote