Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

I have a little dilemma with my Canon EF 50 f1.8 on my350D/XT. Obviously, with the 1.8 aperture, its a wonderful little lens for lower light conditions. HOWEVER, its focusing ability in low light is absolutely awful. My question is, how do I utilize the AF assist lamp on a 550EX speedlite WITHOUT firing the flash? I've tried themaster/no flash setting, but thisseems to disable the af assist lamp as well. Am i missing somethng obvious, or am I stuck with manual focus?
mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:40 PM   #2

There's a device called an ST-E2 (but I'm afraid it cost as much as the flash itself):
You can try a toy laser pointer projecting some patterns on the subject... :idea:

-> Your only other option (which you've alredy tried) is to put the 550EX in the wireless mode as a Master - in this mode you can program the Flash not to fire so it won't contribute to the lighting, but it still preflashes (to control other Slaves) you can then cover the flash head with black duct tape... as theses are low-intensity control signals and not the main burst
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote