Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 18, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1

I'm on the fence between these two speedlights for my Nikon D50. The advantages I'm seeing with the sb-600 would be using it as a slave down the road with an sb-800 and Nikon designed it to work with it's cameras.

The advantage I'm seeing with the Promaster seems to be the mini fill flash. I'm just not sure how useful this feature would be. Any thoughts? Would I be able to simply use a bounce card with the Nikon flash and get a similar result?

Which speedlight would you pick?
mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 5:52 AM   #2

I have the 7500DX for a Konica Minolta. It has wireless capability, two channels to select from. This surprised me because the Promaster on-line manual only indicated that it could function as a slave, which I assumed to be triggered by a light sensor. The wireless capability will communicate TTL info from the camera if your camera has that capability, which mine doesn't. ThePromaster on-line manual is for their Canon version, and it did not say it had wireless capability. You might want to go to the Promaster Website and click on "ask the Flash expert" to see if the Nikon version supports what you are looking for in wireless slave capabilities. It takes them a few days to respond to you, but I found them to be very helpful. I can't honestly say that the little fill flash makes a big difference. Bounce flash is definetly better than direct,and in some situations you may want to use the fill flashwith bounce, but I wouldn't make that the deciding factor between the 7500Dx and the SB600.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3

I can tell you that the SB600 is an awesome flash...

I have a D50 as well and looked around at other manufacturers, deciding finally on the SB600.

Bouncing this flash gives great results... And paying only $159 for it, I am totally pleased!
I went through amazon, using Adorama as thepurchasing companyand signing up for the Amazon card, I saved $30 off the $189 original price... So that being the $159.
I have had it for 2 days and love it so far... just gotta learn everything I can do with it...LOL!!!
A great deal, I think...

I am sure you'll be happy with the 600 if you go that route.
Stay away from the Sigma 500 super until June/July, they have reported synch issues up to a quarter of a secondwith the D50/70 and are coming out with an updated version in June.
Once that happens, the 500Super would be another good choice.

garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote