Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 22, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel XTi...

Does the 580EX ii have any gains over the original 580EX? That would be applicable to my Canon XTi? I know it has some features that would improve for a Mark II.... but is everything else the same?

Also... if anyone has one... could you take some shots of it and post from different angles? I can only seem to find the Stock Straight forward picture of the face of the unit...
MartyF81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 7:38 AM   #2

Companys will never stop adding little gizmo's to products we already have to intice us to by the latest and greatest...Granted, improvements are always good...I have used the 550EX flash for several years with good success...A few months ago I needed a new flash for backup and found that the 550EX was no longer made so I bought the 580EX...Compairing the 550 and 580, I dont see any significent difference in performance...The 580 is supposed to have a little better this and that, but for what I needed those little "this and thats" didnt matter to me...The point is, the 580iiEX has be tweeked and a little improvement has been made, but do you need the new improvement...If you made a living taking pictures, the expense would probably be justified...But if you have a good working flash now, the extra money would be better spent in a good or better lens...
Just my opinion.....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 8:46 AM   #3

The biggest difference is not in the flash, but external...

The foot is now metal in the EXII - So if you have a heavy camera (i.e. 1D series) holding it by the flash won't break it off or knocking the flash against some thing in crowded places: Press reporters fighting for a slot shooting movie stars or something...

The 2nd improvement is the foot electrical contacts are now weather sealed so you can shoot in the rain (I hope) to complement the weather sealed lenses...
Now if you don't do any of that then the differences are probably moot :idea:
(i.e. the XTi will likely die if it get wet, and its prism will more likely break off if held by the flash)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4

I like the 580EXII, and it's price already dropped from what I paid when it came out, but the "old" 580 is a fine flash, and I use them interchangeably.

The new model does have a solid list of improvements though, and if you can budget for it, buy one, as those features will matter more to you as your experience grows. It has a much better battery door, a fantastic, secure lever locking device, more custom functions, faster recycle time, it is silent when cycling and waiting at ready, a pc socket, better AF illumination, auto overheating protection, weatherproofing (why let rain ruin everything?), better control range when used as a master, and it has built in thyristor control, which offers some really fun possibilities. It also offers integrated camera control of flash functions with your next new Canon body. There are other things too, but that's what comes to mind right now.

A good goal is to own at least two high powered flash units in time. That will cover most creative lighting situations pretty well, and each can serve as a backup for the other in case of failure.

With that in mind, it might be better to look for a new old stock 580EX first, as they will be gone soon, and then buy a 580EX II later, after the price levels out.

Don't worry about the plastic foot on the old 580EX. I use the flash as a handle all the time, and have yet to break one. Just be gentle. On the other hand, I might well be the first person in the world to break a 580EX II in two. The metal foot remained attached to the camera shoe after the tripod mounted kit crashed to the floor, but when the 580EX II broke the fall by hitting a countertop on the way down, the plastic frame parted from the metal foot, and I ended up with a very short, built-in off camera shoe cord/580EX II combo .

$125 later, all was well again. The point is (other than letting you know that I ended up paying $620 for the flash), that either flash foot will break if suiatably abused, and thank God, as I doubt the price to replace the flash shoe on a 30D would only cost $125, and if the flash foot didn't break first, the camera would have been wrecked.

Better yet, don't be stupid, and lean a ten pound camera/lens/flash combo that is attached to a tripod with the legs extended againt a kitchen counter and expect it to stay there....
Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:57 PM   #5

One other featrue the new 580 mkII has is a sync jack so you can plug in a radio trigger directly without needing strange shoe cords adapters:-)

Just a small addition but one that wassorely missing on the older Canon flashes.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote