Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:33 PM   #1

Hey guys need some help. I have a Canon G9 and would like to purchase an external flash. I'm not too camera savy so I don't want it to be difficult to use, and cheap would be good. I will pay a little more if it makes good sense to do so. I will be using this mostly to photograph my baby which is coming in a few months. Please give me some options.
mincemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:23 PM   #2

I have used the Canon EX-430 and the Opteka EF-600 on my G-7. The Opteka EF-600 is price around $130, and is about half the price of the Canon Ex-430.

I have had no problems at all with the Opteka EF-600, however, after I recommended it to a friend, she got one and it failed in less than a week. The camera becomes a bit top heavy either flash unit mounted on the G-7 or G-9, but you can use bounce flash very effectively.

You might want to take a look at the Canon S-5 Flash Tutorial that I wrote for the S-5 folks. It is posted in the Canon point & shoot folder. Everything in that tutorial would apply toyour G-9.

Here is a sample that demostrates how bounce flash can be quite effective. Notice that there are no harsh shadows. bounce flash would also allow you to shoot without any of the flash going into the baby's eyes, as all the light is being bounced off the ceiling.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:53 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I did check out your tutorial and found it very useful. I have one more question though. I see that flash units such as the Canon 430ex support ttl-2 and I did not see that listed for the Opteka. For the Canon G9 do I need ttl-2 or doesn't it matter?
mincemo is offline   Reply With Quote