Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:16 PM   #1

I've got a Pentax K10D with the following lenses:
  • Pentax 16-45[/*]
  • Pentax 35-105 A Zoom from my 35 mm days[/*]
  • I want to get the new 55-300 Pentax lens when it's available.[/*]
I find the built in flash on the K10D doesn't cover the entire field when my 16 to approx. 20 mm setting on my 16-45, but the Pentax manual indicates this will be the case.

I want a flash that will cover the range of my 16-45 lens, be robust and reliable.

Currently I have my old Vivitar 285HV (high Voltage) flash from my 35mm days, but I will not use that flash with my K10D as I understand the voltage is way too much for my digital SLR.

The old Vivitar is a fantastic flash and whatever digital flash I get, I'm hoping will have the ability of this old 285 HV.

Any suggestions on what Pentax flash or other brand flash to get ? I prefer to keep my Pentax...all Pentax, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:58 PM   #2

Sigma and Metz seem 2 reliable manufacturers for P-TTL flashes.

I just got my Sigma 530 DG ST today, and must say I'm pleasantly surprised. Do note that this one doens't have the bells and whistles of the Super version.

If you want to stay Pentax, you need to consider how important it is to you that your flash can swivel. (turn sideways)
The AF360 can only turn up and down., thus eliminating the use of for example a better bounce card...

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3

I have the pentax 360 and have been very happy with it. Save the vivatar and use it as a slave. you can get a slave atachment from ebay for like $10.
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:02 AM   #4

I use an older model Vivitar 285 with my *ist D, and it works beautifully. You can test the trigger voltage of your 285HV to find out if it is compatible. Check the sticky thread for info and instructions.

I am considering the Pentax 360, as it is compatible with the ttl capability of the *ist D. Don't believe this is avalilable on the K series though, so the question for me would be if I needed/wanted the higher guide nr and cost of the 540.

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote