Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:58 PM   #1

If you see the paparazzi shooting a celebrity (any red carpet event) you see a million strobes flashing. My question is how do they get that to happen. Is that there are a million photographers all shooting once every two seconds (typical recharge time) or is there a flash that supports that quick of a recharge?

Another example is.... if the 40D can shoot 6.5 frames a second.. how many of those frames can I expect to be with flash even if I use Canon's top of the line flash (580ex) and a powerpak from sunpak or similair?

Any advice?
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:28 PM   #2

Mnay of the them will be using external battery packs such as the Quantum Turbo http://www.qtm.com/Turbo/?res_set=ye...&resh=1024 which allows faster recycling. They push the flash units to the point where they actually melt from excessive heat buildup! I've seem pictures of holes melted in the flash lens!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:56 AM   #3

Some flashes offer a "winder" mode (typically Metz flashguns) , refering to the film camera time, which is simply a reduced power manual mode (1/16 or 1/32 of full power) , mine can keep up at a rate of 5 fps. (but read the manual, the sustained number of flashes is limited for safety purpose...)

But the "you see a million strobes flashing" effect is due to the different strobes flashing here and there, more than comming from the same source.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:21 AM   #4

I suspect that many/most of those flashes are not coming from cameras. They could be little strobes set up to make it look like there is more interest in the boring show than there really is. Also a fairly continious barage of flashes is less distracting than
just a few.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote