Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:46 AM   #1

My Uncle gave me a BOWER USA Digital TWIN Slave Flash that he never used.
Bower SF829TW Flash

Anyway, I tried it as a slave flash (not mounted on camera) and it seems to work fine with my Olympus E-510.
I didn't want to use it in the flash mount on the camera until I knew the wattage it puts out... so, I was trying to get instructions / manual from the Bower website and I'll tell you this much... their website absolutely SUCKS. No support, no info on the flashes, and the feedback didn't work. I wonder if they're even in business now?
http://www.bowerusa.com/

So, anybody know anything about Bower flashes?

I will probably end up getting an Olympus flash pretty soon anyway and just use this one as bounce or slave flash.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:19 AM   #2

Uh... anyone?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:34 AM   #3
Administrator

It's my understanding that Olympus recommends that you don't use a flash in the hotshoe with a trigger voltage over 6 volts.

If you look at this "sticky" type thread at the top of the threads list in this forum, you'll see a link to a page that shows you how to measure it if you can't find it in the flash specifications anywhere. You'll also see some discussion on devices that can limit trigger voltage to a safe level if it's too high.

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:38 AM   #4

Thanks Jim!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's my understanding that Olympus recommends that you don't use a flash in the hotshoe with a trigger voltage over 6 volts.

If you look at this "sticky" type thread at the top of the threads list in this forum, you'll see a link to a page that shows you how to measure it if you can't find it in the flash specifications anywhere. You'll also see some discussion on devices that can limit trigger voltage to a safe level if it's too high.

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras
I saw the sticky and why I asked about the Bower as it wasn't on the list of flashes.

I am using it off the camera anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:54 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm aware it's not listed (I noticed that). But, if you look at the second link in the first post in that sticky, it goes to a page that shows you how you can measure it (basically, just using a high impedence volt meter and taking a reading between the center pin and outside shield of the flash foot). If you know someone with a good volt meter, you can check it yourself. ;-)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:42 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm aware it's not listed (I noticed that). But, if you look at the second link in the first post in that sticky, it goes to a page that shows you how you can measure it (basically, just using a high impedence volt meter and taking a reading between the center pin and outside shield of the flash foot). If you know someone with a good volt meter, you can check it yourself. ;-)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

I'm not worried as I plan to use this off the camera.

Later on, I will get a Olympus FL37 flash. This is what I have now:

Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:26 PM   #8

Default Bower ST829TW

Hey Steve,

I also bought a Bower SF829TW flash for my Olympus E500. Did you ever find a users manual for this flash? I am not a full time photographer and don't use my camera that often. When I got it out today, in getting ready for Christmans, I check for my users manual for this flash and couldn't find it. So I need HELP on remembering how to use it.

Also, I really have not been happy with my E500 since I bought it and I feel that this is because I am not knowledgeable with the use of it. At the time of purchase I was a full time Videographer and wanted to use this camera for still pictures at weddings but with the quality of pictures that I was getting I couldn't use it for weddings. Is there anywhere (on line, at a school) where I can go to learn how to use it? I am quite frustrated with it. I can not get sharp pictures indoors at all.
(I think I should have bought a Canon)
tparkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparkins View Post
Hey Steve,

I also bought a Bower SF829TW flash for my Olympus E500. Did you ever find a users manual for this flash? I am not a full time photographer and don't use my camera that often. When I got it out today, in getting ready for Christmans, I check for my users manual for this flash and couldn't find it. So I need HELP on remembering how to use it.

Also, I really have not been happy with my E500 since I bought it and I feel that this is because I am not knowledgeable with the use of it. At the time of purchase I was a full time Videographer and wanted to use this camera for still pictures at weddings but with the quality of pictures that I was getting I couldn't use it for weddings. Is there anywhere (on line, at a school) where I can go to learn how to use it? I am quite frustrated with it. I can not get sharp pictures indoors at all.
(I think I should have bought a Canon)
Wow! This post is over two years old.
My Olympus is long gone, since got a Pentax K20D, then a Nikon D5000 & D300.

Anyways, it sounds like you need to take some lessons or read up on taking pictures. Getting a Canon or Nikon won't help you get better pictures. Learning to use a DSLR first is what you need to do.
Nikon D5100 & Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX
Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Nikon SB-800
Carbon Fiber Tripod & monopod
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:18 PM   #10

Did the OP mean "Bauer"? I've had a couple of them for years, high power jobbies, that seem to have a trigger voltage of between 20 and 30 volts. There's no way I'll ever mount one on any DSLR, but used remotely they're fine.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote