Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

My Uncle gave me a BOWER USA Digital TWIN Slave Flash that he never used.
Bower SF829TW Flash

Anyway, I tried it as a slave flash (not mounted on camera) and it seems to work fine with my Olympus E-510.
I didn't want to use it in the flash mount on the camera until I knew the wattage it puts out... so, I was trying to get instructions / manual from the Bower website and I'll tell you this much... their website absolutely SUCKS. No support, no info on the flashes, and the feedback didn't work. I wonder if they're even in business now?
http://www.bowerusa.com/

So, anybody know anything about Bower flashes?

I will probably end up getting an Olympus flash pretty soon anyway and just use this one as bounce or slave flash.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

Uh... anyone?
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:34 AM   #3
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 21,533
Default

It's my understanding that Olympus recommends that you don't use a flash in the hotshoe with a trigger voltage over 6 volts.

If you look at this "sticky" type thread at the top of the threads list in this forum, you'll see a link to a page that shows you how to measure it if you can't find it in the flash specifications anywhere. You'll also see some discussion on devices that can limit trigger voltage to a safe level if it's too high.

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

Thanks Jim!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's my understanding that Olympus recommends that you don't use a flash in the hotshoe with a trigger voltage over 6 volts.

If you look at this "sticky" type thread at the top of the threads list in this forum, you'll see a link to a page that shows you how to measure it if you can't find it in the flash specifications anywhere. You'll also see some discussion on devices that can limit trigger voltage to a safe level if it's too high.

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras
I saw the sticky and why I asked about the Bower as it wasn't on the list of flashes.

I am using it off the camera anyway.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:54 AM   #6
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 21,533
Default

I'm aware it's not listed (I noticed that). But, if you look at the second link in the first post in that sticky, it goes to a page that shows you how you can measure it (basically, just using a high impedence volt meter and taking a reading between the center pin and outside shield of the flash foot). If you know someone with a good volt meter, you can check it yourself. ;-)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html


JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm aware it's not listed (I noticed that). But, if you look at the second link in the first post in that sticky, it goes to a page that shows you how you can measure it (basically, just using a high impedence volt meter and taking a reading between the center pin and outside shield of the flash foot). If you know someone with a good volt meter, you can check it yourself. ;-)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

I'm not worried as I plan to use this off the camera.

Later on, I will get a Olympus FL37 flash. This is what I have now:


jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:26 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default Bower ST829TW

Hey Steve,

I also bought a Bower SF829TW flash for my Olympus E500. Did you ever find a users manual for this flash? I am not a full time photographer and don't use my camera that often. When I got it out today, in getting ready for Christmans, I check for my users manual for this flash and couldn't find it. So I need HELP on remembering how to use it.

Also, I really have not been happy with my E500 since I bought it and I feel that this is because I am not knowledgeable with the use of it. At the time of purchase I was a full time Videographer and wanted to use this camera for still pictures at weddings but with the quality of pictures that I was getting I couldn't use it for weddings. Is there anywhere (on line, at a school) where I can go to learn how to use it? I am quite frustrated with it. I can not get sharp pictures indoors at all.
(I think I should have bought a Canon)
tparkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparkins View Post
Hey Steve,

I also bought a Bower SF829TW flash for my Olympus E500. Did you ever find a users manual for this flash? I am not a full time photographer and don't use my camera that often. When I got it out today, in getting ready for Christmans, I check for my users manual for this flash and couldn't find it. So I need HELP on remembering how to use it.

Also, I really have not been happy with my E500 since I bought it and I feel that this is because I am not knowledgeable with the use of it. At the time of purchase I was a full time Videographer and wanted to use this camera for still pictures at weddings but with the quality of pictures that I was getting I couldn't use it for weddings. Is there anywhere (on line, at a school) where I can go to learn how to use it? I am quite frustrated with it. I can not get sharp pictures indoors at all.
(I think I should have bought a Canon)
Wow! This post is over two years old.
My Olympus is long gone, since got a Pentax K20D, then a Nikon D5000 & D300.

Anyways, it sounds like you need to take some lessons or read up on taking pictures. Getting a Canon or Nikon won't help you get better pictures. Learning to use a DSLR first is what you need to do.
__________________
http://jackmoskovita.com/
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/
Nikon D3 & Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8
Nikon D5100 & Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX
Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Nikon SB-800
Carbon Fiber Tripod & monopod
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Belize & UK
Posts: 463
Default

Did the OP mean "Bauer"? I've had a couple of them for years, high power jobbies, that seem to have a trigger voltage of between 20 and 30 volts. There's no way I'll ever mount one on any DSLR, but used remotely they're fine.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
0
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:42 AM.




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2