Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Hi, I have a Canon S5 IS and I am looking for a good flash. I have been studying up a little on the Canon 220 EX, 420 EX, and 430 EX speedlites, and I was wondering if I could get a little help deciding which one I need to purchase for my specific camera. I take pictures of my 2 y/o in the house with the lights on, but with my flash on the camera, get a lot of red eye. He has blue eyes and is very prone to red eye and that drives me crazy. I bought this camera in hopes of taking good quality pictures and hopefully be able to reduce red eye. I can take out the red eye that shows up on the camera but I don't want to have to fool with that. I had rather reduce it from the getgo with taking the photo. That is why I am looking for an external flash to take some distance away from the flash and the picture (someone mentioned this a while back). I have read that a 220 EX would help a lot. And I also read that the 430 would not really help my camera any, because the S5 did not support the extra settings available on the 430 anyway, so it would be a waste of money. I would be able to get the 220 EX on amazon for about 120 without paying shipping, and I will have to look for the 420 on ebay as they apparently no longer sell this flash (quit making it or something because of the 430), so I would like some advice on what to do please? Is the 220 gonna help me just fine or do I need to go with something else. Thanks for any help.

I have been on here before trying to decide what camera to buy, and went with the S5, thanks to everyone's help. I still am looking in the future to moving to the DSLR cameras. Just afraid of them now, because I know nothing about them and have no extra time to take classes or read up on them to learn how to use them effectively.

jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2

I use the EX 420 and EX 430 with my S-5 as well as my Canon G-7. I looked at the EX-220 and felt it was under powered. With the 420or 430 mounted on the S-5, I can reach out to 25 feet easily. I keep the ISO set to Auto ISO and the ISO rarely ever goes over ISO 250.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote