Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:38 PM   #11

tacticdesigns wrote:
Hello Abs.Abando

Thanks for the great feedback!

Your comment about the AF beam being off-center scares me since I only really use the center AF point. [But not a deal killer.]

As for not have more advanced features, I'd be ok with that. If I want to do stuff with more features, I run back to my Pentax.

Now I'm thinking . . . get my Pentax AS540FGZ & if it really bugs me or my wife that the Nikon doesn't have a bounce flash, I'll get this one to try out.

Thanks again!

Take care,
My pleasure. I've always trusted Sunpak and Vivitar brands during my film days when I don't use "dedicated" units. The PZ42X does live up to its reputation. Aside from the pros I've mentioned, its also a lot smaller than most but still packs 4-2AA cells which simply means I've got enough juice for assignments on the fly. There was one assignment I was in where I shot over 600-frames without changing batteries! This was done by setting the camera ISO to 800 and exposure mode to Manual. I "dragged" the shutter to as slow as 1/8s to get enough of ambient lighting(I was shooting a rave party)and I fixed the aperture to f/6.3 which allowed me just enough depth of field for up-close subjects and also allowed for shorter flash bursts because of the relatively large opening.

I wasn't really going for image quality at the time but this says a lot about the flash's endurance. :-)
Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:52 PM   #12

Hi Glen-

Because you have both the Pentax K100 and the D-70, and you want a flash for both of them, I am here to offer a solution. Use the DigiSalave 3000 on one or even both of your cameras, if you desire. It sells for about $(US) 100.00 and it works very well.

Please take a look at this E-420 photo taken with the E-420's built-in flash and the DigiSlave 3000. This might be the low cost solution that you are looking for right now.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote