Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:35 PM   #1
Default When to bounce flash & when to diffuse flash?

Newbie here. Just purchased a Canon Speedlite 430EXII for my Canon T1i. Can someone quickly explain when to bounce the flash off the ceiling and when to put a diffuser on the flash itself? Is it appropriate to keep the diffuser on the flash all the time and still bounce the light off the ceiling? Trying to learn here so I apologize if these seem like silly questions.
gavsmompa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:38 PM   #2

A Sto fen defuser recommend that you do not fire it directly at the subject but bounce at least 45 degrees.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:48 PM   #3

I keep the diffuser on all the time. Only if I have a really white high ceiling will I take it off. Both bounced flash and diffuser flash are effective. You learn by doing and sort of develop your own technique.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:30 PM   #4

Using bounce flash, or a diffuser spreads the light output from the flash, reducing its effective guide number. Doing both is doubling the reduction (not exactly, but it is reduced twice). Not a problem if you have a powerful flash and subjects are reasonably close, especially if you need the wide angle. It does use more of the battery capacity, though, as the flash has to fire at higher power than if it was direct flash. (in order to get the same exposure). If ceilings are too high, or non-existent, then you can't bounce, but may be able to use the diffuser.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote