Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:12 PM   #1
Default Sunpak 522 and Nikon D1

Good Day: First of all I have been a lurker for some time,and I have found this forum to be very educating, I have a older Sunpak 522, a Wein Safe Sync, and My trusty D1, My question to the membership is could someone please forward me information on utilizing the Sunpak with my D1 I have searched out till the wee hours of the morning, googled to death "Sunpak 522 Nikon" and every other variation you can think of to find how to blend these pieces together. I would greatly appreciate any information any member who has knowledge with my situation.

I also ordered today to be shipped to my in shop a pair of studio umbrella strobes setup, to photograph bikes and associated items with my business but I will leave those questions for another post.
mdw612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2

Use manual exposure on the camera, setting the ISO speed and aperture to the desired setting (for example, f/5.6 and ISO 200). Then, set the shutter speed to an appropriate level to let the desired amount of ambient light into the photo. Around 1/100 second is usually good for starters if you're shooting indoors (since those settings would allow the flash to provide most of the light, freezing the action in typical indoor settings). Set your white balance to either Flash or Sunny (or use a Kelvin Temperature somewhere between 5400 and 5600K, depending on how cool or warm you want the images to look).

You'll also need to set the flash. I'd suggest setting the flash to Auto on it's back. Then, use the red window on the A dial to see how you're setting your the desired ISO speed (a.k.a., ASA speed) to match your camera settings. For example, if the camera is set to ISO 200, set the flash to ASA 200. Then, turn the other dial on the side of the flash where you see the A label to your camera's aperture setting (f/5.6 in the above example).

That way, the flash measures reflected light during the exposure and terminates the flash when it sees enough reflected light for the aperture and ISO speed settings used (ISO 200 and f/5.6 in my example).

Here's an online manual I found with a quick google search:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:47 PM   #3

I actually still have this flash... So let me know if you need more help
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote