Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:42 PM   #11

That's a non-issue really...

When anyone is in the wireless mode, you normally require more power from all the flashes really (otherwise why use more flashes?). The FP mode decrease the power of the flashes considerably at each shutter speed increase to make their output practically useless (except for shorter distances)...

You have the same problem with studio strobes (or their wireless triggers) so rarely higher shutter speeds are used anyway in multiple flash set-up

-> The cool thing too is their power pack works on multiple systems, so for folks like me I only need one device to power multiple brands instead of carrying two packs, and it's quickly recharged by some fast R/C cars chargers which I already have

Last edited by NHL; Jun 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:41 AM   #12

Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Amazing flash!

I've been playing with this Nissin Di866 for several days and totally agree with vIZnquest. This unit is like an improved version of the Metz 58AF-1 with dual-head, down to the extra PC sync terminal and an absolutely identical carrying case! I wish they kept the audible feature of the Metz though...

In fact I've just ordered another Canon version, an external fast charge battery pack and off-camera extension cord. Theses last two items are universal and will work with both Canon and Nikon versions of the flash and cameras. Highly recommended if anyone is into wireless as theses devices are so affordable and much more flexible than the manufacturers own 580EX or SB-900, especially when one start to buy multiple units as theses costs quickly multiply...
I agree with myself, I mean er, NHL. This is the best feature for price flash out there for those just looking for a flash and better yet looking to get into wireless flash. I just couldn't get myself to get another SB-600 after I saw what this flash could do from what I gleaned from the net. I took a chance and am one happy camper with this flash.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:40 PM   #13

Just a quick question:

not sure if this is a misunderstanding or a shortcoming of this flash but if I use the nissin di866 as a remote flash it will only be triggered by my D90′s built-in flash set to commander mode if the flash fires. I don’t want this. Am I wrong in saying this is a shortcoming of the flash?
Will a Nikon SB-900 be triggered by my built-in flash of my Nikon D90 without it actually firing?
ovizii is offline   Reply With Quote