Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:39 AM   #1
Default Importance of a flash?

I go to a music college and i've been doing headshots and candids for fellow students for some time. And I never used flash. But I always was lucky with lighting or had to almost always do outdoors and check forcasts constantly and schedule shoots on good weather days.
In the last few days I got contacted by about 4 potential clients and I'm thinking. Is the the time to get a flash? Like an sb600 or something? I always charged either nothting or very little and I'm getting alot better to the point where people insist paying more than I ask for so I've moved my rates up a little. So I'm charging more now and perhaps my pictures should have a heightened level of professionalism? What do you think ?
kofman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:11 PM   #2

We will only know if you have become better, if you post some photo samples. Regarding the Flash question: flash is a very viable light source. It can always be depended on and it is 100% consistent. Get the SB-600.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:20 PM   #3

After the camera and lens, the next two most important things to have are a flash and tripod. I would definitely go for the flash first. (unless you are shooting mostly landscapes)

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:19 AM   #4

I would definitely buy a flash. As you may (or may not) have read my post I'm a complete novice when using external flash. I have a SB-800 that I've had for over 2 years. Bought it when I first bought my D300. But forgot about the flash. Did what you did. Shot only using ambient light. But recently I decided to use it. Not to waste it. And even in auto mode I can immediately see the difference. the true colors in the scenes are revealed. Like a veil has been lifted. I've only been using it for "fill-flash" right now indoors. No night time indoor shots yet. Trying to find out how to set up my flash/camera to work together so that the flash fires as the shutter fires.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote