Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:13 PM   #1
Default Vivitar 283 and T2i: Oops...

I was rummaging in my closet for some old inherited photography stuff, and low and behold, I found an awesome flash! A Vivitar 283 auto thyristor flash unit. I mounted the sucker on my new T2i, and low and behold, it fit!

So I take a picture with it, flash goes off once, and then the flash stops firing...uh oh. I go onto the web and it sounds like using an old SLR flash with a new DSLR (especially this one) was not a wise idea. So now I'm in a panic that I've fried a less than one month old camera.

I try it once more (not a good idea, I know, but I don't have another external flash to test with). It fires fine, no problems.

I take it off and try the built-in flash. Built-in Flash pops out fine, fires, doesn't look like any problems. In automatic mode, the flash fires in rapid succesion 2-3 times before finally firing and taking the picture one final time. I assume this is normal too. But everything looks okay, but I don't have a proper external flash to test.

My paranoid mind needs some reassurance though...is it possible I could've done any long term damage? Should I be considering that extended warranty now? I'd hate to discover 6 months down the road my stupidity caused some damage to the internal electronics or something.
ChristopherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:53 PM   #2

Just measured the sync voltage of the 283 (I'm assuming I don't fire the flash during hte measurement.)

Only measures 9-9.5v fortunatly, and the T2i is listed as supporting up to 250v.

I won't use htis thing anymore without a safe sync, but it sounds like I dodged a bullet...

NOTE TO SELF: Never attach anything to camera without research
ChristopherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3

research first!
yeah, the multiple flashing then taking a pic is normal...red eye stuff. prefer to use regular flash on low for rear fill myself. I have a slave flash, small one I rarely use...want to 'make' a macro ring flash to go with 'all' my cameras as they do not make one which works with several different sized lenses. Either slave or attached.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:41 AM   #4

I have a Vivitar 283 also wish my Canon 580EXII work as well as the 283. Anyway the trigger voltage on mine measured 110v but I still don't use it on the camera just to be safe.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote