Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:34 AM   #1
Default Flash attachments for Canon Powershot G5

Do You have to use only Canon flash attachments or can you use a generic brand? Will this generic brand work as well as the Canon flash in auto mode and can you recommend some flash units?
Marshall Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:09 PM   #2

You need to use a flash that is E-TTL or go to a full manual flash. My suggestion is the 420EX - it's a nice size for the G series. Others suggest the Sigma 500 DG Super in the Canon E-TTL version.

Your camera will not work properly with a Canon EZ series flash and you need to be aware that some older flashes have too high a trigger voltage that can harm the camera too.

Stick to a E-TTL compatible flash and you won't go wrong. Manual flash can be a bit daunting.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 7:02 PM   #3

I am using a Minolta Auto 360 PX with my G 5 with excellent results. I am able to adjust the TTL control on the flash unit to get the correct exposures for distance.
I suggest you try out an auto TTL flash unit in-store to see which units will function properly with your camera.
Larger flash units can be used on manual with slaves attached, and you can then set the aperture accordingly. You don't need a flash meter, just shoot and check the exposures until you get what you want, then make a note of the aperture you used, and the distance to the subject.
Leitzman is offline   Reply With Quote