Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 30, 2012, 2:07 AM   #1
Default Canon 430 EX II - Professional event/social photos

I recently began taking photos at large events and socials.

I have an old sunpak flash at the moment, and want to upgrade to a flash with Second Curtain Sync.

I have used a 580 at one of these events and was impressed by the difference in quality from my old flash. Funds restrict the purchase of this unit.

I would like to know of others experience with the 430 EX under these conditions.

Could I light up a group of 10-12 people adequatley with the 430?

Any other feedback would be great!

alfab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2012, 9:25 AM   #2

The 430 is a very nice flash. Are you doing event work for personal/family use or professional? The two major issues with the 430 for event use are:
1) slow recycle time
2) does not accept external battery pack

When you start talking about taking 500+ flash photos at an event, those two things are critical. If it's for personal use, we all have to make sacrifices since we cannot afford everything. But if you're planning on making money for this event work you need to invest in a 580 or a metz and external battery pack.

Now - as for coverage - when you get to group sizes of 10+ you really need to start looking at off-camera multi-flash setups. With built-in wide angle diffusers you can get by but it's difficult. You really want to use multiple light sources for groups that size if you're doing this professionally.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 5:15 AM   #3

You may want to look into the Nissin Di866:http://www.nissindigital.com/Di866-1.html

For not much more than a 430 EXii, it has the same power as the 580EX, has a more flexible dual head(s) and will accept external battery pack! I have several of this flashes in both Canon and Nikon mount (and they share the same High-Power pack): http://www.nissindigital.com/en/powerpack-ps300.html

You save more this way as when you do get into wireless mode when multiple units are required (i.e. the more units you need the more $ you save with each buy) to augment your coverage...
photos (ϕοτοσ), light
graphos (γραϕος), painting

Last edited by NHL; May 31, 2012 at 5:30 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #4

I am curious as to what you think you need the second curtain sync for. This is mostly for special effects with long exposure times, and not something I would think of for group photos. (though it could give some interesting images)
For the auto-zoom type flashes, look for something that will give as wide angle coverage as the lens you will be using. If these are indoor shots, consider using bounce flash, as this increases the width of coverage, and softens the harshness of flash.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5

I have a 430EX II flash and find it more than enough for a lot of social events I went to. I normally set my flash to Manual for bounce flash either at 1/2 or full power, shutter at 1/100 sec, ISO 200 for small groups and 400 for large groups. The aperture I use is between F/5.6 to 8 depending on how bright the room is. For large hall or church with high and dark ceilings. I use a Gary Fong knock off Tupperware type of attachment to bounce flash. I always carry 4 sets of battery in my camera bag.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote