Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:01 AM   #1
Default Flashgun advice for bridge camera

I am looking to buy a new bridge camera. I am seriously considering the Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K as well as others which have a hot shoe (having previously owned the Sony DSC-HX100V). I want to get a cheap flashgun mainly for bounced flash - I used to own a Metz Mecablitz back in the 80s which was great and a couple since then but I am not sure about newer models. I have been looking at second hand ones on Ebay (Cobra Auto 260)as well more modern ones such as YN460 Speedlite. I do not know which of the older models are compatible with what cameras. Are there any websites which offer advice about this? I know that maximum trigger voltage is the issue here and it can burn the camera's electrics if you get it wrong.
BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:45 AM   #2

Hi Blue Rover, welcome to Steve's. I own several cameras I use for different purposes. I have a DSLR (Sony), and a Sony flash which cost about 250 US.

I also have a Canon SX40 HS which has a hot shoe. Instead of spending 150+ on a Canon flash, I went to my local Best Buy and bought a Sunpak Digiflash 3000, for my camera. It works like a charm, I use it for bounce. It will swivel as well. The build quality is not near that of a more expensive flash, so if you need one as a "workhorse", I might go with a more expensive model. For my use, which is a few times a year, (Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas), the Sunpak does just fine. I paid 59 US. I also went with that one because it was the only brand of "cheap" flash I could physically look at before I bought, and could return it to that store if not satisfied. I hate buying off the internet, because of the wait factor, and returning items are a little more involved. I do buy from B&H, and Amazon, and both places have great return policies. Good luck.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:11 PM   #3

I use an older Vivitar 285 with both my old Minolta D7hi, (w/ PC sync cable), and my newer Fuji X-S1, on the hotshoe. As you probably know, the shoe on the Sony/Minolta cameras is non-standard, and you can't attach a flash unless is is made for them.
The Vivitar flash is an auto-thyristor type, so it measures the reflected light and shuts of the flash at the proper exposure (for the f/number you have set) and gives excellent results in varying conditions. With a fully manual flash, you have to set the power level based on your ISO and f/number yourself (or the exposure based on the flash)
P-TTL flashes are able to communicate with the camera to set the flash power based on a pre-flash , and are much simpler to use. but have to be used with a particular brand of camera. (you may know all this - if so, ignore)
Used auto-thyristor flashes are available at KEH, Amazon, Adorama, B&H photo, and lots of other places. The Vivitar 285HV is still made-example here:http://www.adorama.com/VV285HV.html

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:32 PM   #4

G'day BR

I use the Y 460 flashes - have 4 of them for my various bitz n pieces and love 'em to bits. The Y460 can be used either as a flash-on-camera or as a separate slave gun, activated by the internal optical slave or an external wireless slave trigger

Here's a link to the mob I bought them from, incl some wireless triggers is you ever want to expand your photo activities ...

Flashguns -

Triggers -

Hope this helps a bit
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote