Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Default Slave flashes

I have a Finepix S5000 witch doesn't have a hot shoe for an extra flash.
Besides the expansive digi-slave series I was looking into the Metz 36-C2 but here is the problem. According to the manufactur site (Germany) it does not have a slave function, but on the US websites (B&H and others), it's a manual/slave/automatic flash. Does anybody knows more about this flash, maybe the US version is different because I saw somwhere a picture from the rear of the unit which looks different than the German one, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.
Please help
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:47 PM   #2

Try this vivitar; it's about $80 at various sites.

The Metz 36 C-2 functions as a slave only in conjunction with the Mecalux 11 slave adapater (or other slave adapter). The Mecalux 11 is NOT suitable for use with cameras that use an exposure "pre-flash." If the Fuji does that, look at the Wein products to find a suitable device.

Consider the Metz 34 C-2, which IS a slave capable unit. You'll want to verify that it's photo-optical slave versus IR or radio. I'm pretty certain it is, but the literature I have isn't clear. I'll let you the hunting around the Metz site so YOU can share with US.
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:53 PM   #3

yes it is photo optical slave,i use one with my finepix f610 an ideal companion for a compact digicam,it has 3 f stops and a manual setting,to me that means 4 brightness settings! its very good for a digicam with no hot shoe,ps i am talking about the 34-cs2 digital
cliff2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:29 PM   #4

I have the Vivitar DF200 opto activated slave flash. It is of much lesser build quality than the Metz, but its only 70 US$ at B&H, and is purpose-built to auto adapt to digi-cam pre flash characteristics.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:16 AM   #5

I have a Soligor DG-280 AZ slave flash for digital cameras (you can find it starting from www.soligor.com), which is not a professional one, but working fine with my Minolta S414. I bought it in Hungary for $60, I have no idea whether it is availbale in US.

When I was looking for a digital slave flash I have found another one, which was not available in Europe, but according to its specification it seems very promising: http://www.phoenixcorp.com/Flash/Dig...ttl_flash.html.

wgyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 12:23 PM   #6

I noticed that you are using the Vivitar DF2000 for some time. Has it functioned ok since you got it? I was considering to add it to my Olympus 5060. Thanks for a response. steveski
steveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:47 AM   #7

It's the Metz 34-CS2 Digital that's the small slave flash. It works with single flash and preflash cameras. It's very small and portable, and you can hold the flash in your hand while using it, and it has LOTS of power (guide number 34m/112' at 100ISO). The only downside about it is it requires two CR2 lithium batteries. Here's a picture I took of the flash while testing it in the store to see if it worked with my preflash camera:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote