Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:47 AM   #1
Default Looking for advice Di466 / DMW FL360 and Diffuser

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to taking photos, and love to take photos of our baby, people, and nature. I recently upgraded from a Pannie FZ35 to a Pannasonic G6.

I'm not into flashes, but after some looking around, I bought a Di466 and a 2nd hand Panasonic FL360 (not the latest model) which both seem to work just fine on a Micro 4/3 camera.

I can't really tell which one is best, but I can tell that I mainly use the FL360 cause it can fully rotate, but the recharge time is quite a tad slower than the Di466.

Has anyone else got (one of) these and give their opinion about them? I'd appreciate any feedback so I can decide when it's better to use one flash or the other.

Also, I'm looking for a diffuser for the flashes, but I don't know which one would suffice and fit. I need something that fits in my camera-bag and easy and quick to use.

I was thinking about the omni-bounce and/or a rogue flashbender.

Thanks for reading and help in advance!
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:25 PM   #2

I think the FL360 is actually the better flash of the two, but the Di466 is a very good flash for the m4/3 for it's size, features and price. The swivel head is the most obvious difference. With m4/3 there isn't as much need to shoot in portrait orientation like you would with a dslr at 3:2 aspect ratio. The swivel isn't as critical.

I use a StoFen Omnibounce indoors and mainly outdoors. It works well for all-around use and is particularlly compact and rugged for outdoors. It's easy to use hand-held with a remote cable.

The Flashbender is a better modifier for indoors, portraits, etc. It's too bulky and complex for most of the things I do, especially outdoors.

If you start using the flash a lot, you'll probably want several different flash modifiers.

I just spend so much time outdoors that the only thing that can survive is the little plastic Omnibounce. I can have it on/off in a second or two and can't "hurt" it in the wind, brush, water or mud. The Flashbender would last me about 15 minutes outdoors and be destroyed.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:42 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply BBbuilder467.

For some reason I sometimes feel the composition of a photo is better when shooting in portrait orientation. I think I will keep both, as I can use one as a slave flash.

As for the diffuser, I think I'll go for the omnibounce too, but each time I look at it, it seems hard to believe that a piece of plastic like that wil do the trick :-). I had not even thought about how "easy" a flashbender would be outdoors, don't want to spend my time on getting that thing set-up properly.

Thank you for your advice, now I just need to figure out of the omnibounce would fit both my flash-units :-)
Honnes is offline   Reply With Quote