Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:14 AM   #1
Default compatible flashes

I just got the Minolta Dimage A2 and am trying to find out which flashes other than the Minolta flashes are compatible. I just bought a Sigma EF 430 last year for my Maxxum but it doesn't work. Most of the Maxxum products do, such as my remote shutter button, my cokin filters with the new 49mm adapter, and my fish eye lense.

I can't find a thing online about flash brands other than Minolta. Is it just too new?
hangloose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:24 AM   #2

This flash has been working with all the Dimages starting with the D7i, including the wireless mode:

There's always the Metz, but it costs as much if not more than the Minolta's!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:24 AM   #3
Default Compatible Flashes

You may want to check into ProMaster. I use the Promaster 5750DX (made for digital) with the Olympus C5060. They make adapters for most major camera brands. They are not sold everywhere but are a good product. (for me, so far)
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4

I visited the ProMaster site, and from what I gather only a couple of current flashes are compatible with digital Minolta cameras like the Z1. I was intrigued by motorized zoom models like the 7000M, but that's not listed on the compatibility chart so I guess it wouldn't work with the Z1?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:10 AM   #5

From the website, it appears that the Promaster 7500 is designed for Canon only at this time. They do carry a flash module for the Minolta Z series, listed uner the Promaster Digital DX series, but that would be for use with the 5500 or 5700. Motorized Zoom on the 7500? What's with that I wonder. The 5750 has a 3 position zoom flash head which means that the head shroud can slide telescopically to focus the flash between wide dispersion to focused "all forward", telephoto dispersion. In the telephoto position it will light up a house at 80 feet in total darkness. Also, the small front flash on the 5750 is nice to use for fill in while bouncing the main flash head, then again, the front flash can also be disabled.
Just for the record, after using the 5750 and the Promaster NiMh batteries for a bit longer now, I've got to say I'm totally pleased with the life of their batteries. I've got 2 sets of 4, 2200mAh AA's and totally pleased with how long they last. Since last writing about this, I've learned that since the charger cuts off to a trickle after 6 hours. it's OK to leave it plugged in to keep the batteries fully charged until needed. And that's only after 200 to 300 flashes per charge. I can live with that.