Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:11 AM   #1
Default Nikon D70 and wireless slave flash

I have a Nikon D70 and a Tumax 220S wireless slave flash. The Nikon is able to trigger the flash but I am not sure whether there should be a special setting on the D70 so that I use the slave properly. I read somewhere about Digital Cameras' flash trigger mechanism is not the same as standard SLRs. I don't know if this applies to the D70.

Thank you for any help. I have a Nikon SB23 but I want to use the slave for taking studio-type photos (fill flash effect).
jallantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:47 PM   #2

To use the TTL wireless flash option with the D70, you have to purchase more than one Nikon SB-800 flash which have the dedicated functions with Nikon D70. To use the off brand slave flash, you can not use the TTL function feature, but have to set the camera in manual mode and have one of the useful flash meter to determine the proper exposure. To use it in any of the other modes (other than the manual mode), you may get incorrect exposure, since your camera can not communicate to the off brand flash to set correct exposure (the camera meter behind the lens can not read your alien flash at all, except the Nikon flash that talks to the camera). In TTL mode, the camera controls the flash, in auto mode, the flash controls the camera, and in manual mode, you have complete control to set the final exposure base on the recommendation of the flash meter (you set both shutter speed and aperture).

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote