Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:26 PM   #1

I bought Minolta Dimage A1 half year ago before christmas break. i chose it after considering A1 with nikon 5900 and Digital Rebel. nikon 5900 wasn't favourite due to night time photography. digital rebel wasn't my choice because it could go over 1 grand for lenses and the stock lense only 3x optical. i went with minolta a1, after using it... i wished i go with digital rebel.

anyway, since i already purchased A1... i will stick with it.

i've taken a lot of pictures during the holiday. almost 150 pictures over 3 weeks holiday :-)

i'm not satisfied with the quality of picture. first i wished i had a tripod, then i wished that the flash is better, third i wished if the shutter speed is faster (so normal people can use it and get good picture, especially when stranger asked to take a picture of me and my whole family)

i went to a b'day party and there is this guy with nikon digicam (i think it was slr) and has a swivvel mounted flash on top. i was intrigue and as i thought if the flash is not directed front. it will result a better picture.

so i'm thinking of getting one. but i'm new, so i'm not familiar with any of it.

i'd like to hear your suggestions/ recommendations/ opinions and feedback.

here are result of photographs i took during vacation. (it's compressed 30% by acdsee viewer)

http://www.xomartel.com/pics/hw01.jpg- thisis taken by me using 200 iso and normal setting

http://www.xomartel.com/pics/hw02.jpg- this taken by my sister and told her to keep the camera balanced after clicking it.

http://www.xomartel.com/pics/hrc.jpg- this taken in hurry due to rain outside hard rock cafe shanghai - picture came out bad. i think i didn't wait for focus to lock and kept on pressing the button down.

http://www.xomartel.com/pics/fish01.jpg- this taken with built in flash

http://www.xomartel.com/pics/fish02.jpg- this taken without flash

as you can see the pictures came out no good, please help me.

thank youin advance,

Xo Martel

XoMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 2:13 PM   #2

no replies? :?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:25 PM   #3

Xo Martel,
Yes, an external flash is the answer for indoor shots. You have many choices : TTL exposure control from Minolta flash ( or the less expensive Sigma's ) , or auto mode flash (you set the aperture) , or plain dumb "slave" . My favourite is an bracket mounted flash (Metz 45CT4) without dedicated module, so I don"t have TTL exposure control, just "auto" mode (you set the same aperture on both camera and flash, you decide the exposure speed , camera on manual mode.

http://www.pbase.com/image/1964130

The 2 first pictures just need some more candlelight from an external flash.
The first fish picture got to much reflection from the subject, nothing you can do without preparation. An indirect , bounced flash could help may be, or an adequate lighting at angle. IMO, this is not a shot easy to get pleasant result, as with many glass or shiny items for example.
The second fish picture is blurred , may be because of movement ( speed must be quite low?) , or the autofocus is fooled ?

-------------
Quote:
third i wished if the shutter speed is faster (so normal people can use it and get good picture, especially when stranger asked to take a picture of me and my whole family)
---------------
I don"t get this part :?? do you mean the focus delay?

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:50 PM   #4

KCAN,

thanks for the reply

i think meltz with bracket is not for me.

i'm looking for something more compact that can be mounted on top of camera, since A1 has hot shoe.

i am clueless with TTL exposure and other terms associated with flash. care to explain?

What i mean by shutter speed is; when i asked other people to take picture, they just pressed and hold the button until the flash went off. the outcome, the picture mostly blurred. i don't know what caused this, but i know it's not because the camera shaking since i tried it myself and just press + hold the button.

i guess it is a focus delay, is there way to correct it? or make it faster?

Thanks again and still waiting for more recommendations.

Xo Martel

Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:09 AM   #5
NHL

Hi KCan

Long time no see hey?

XoMartel wrote:
Quote:
What i mean by shutter speed is; when i asked other people to take picture, they just pressed and hold the button until the flash went off. the outcome, the picture mostly blurred. i don't know what caused this, but i know it's not because the camera shaking since i tried it myself and just press + hold the button.

i guess it is a focus delay, is there way to correct it? or make it faster?
This is just an idea in my opinion:
A flash will freeze anything that move regardless of shutter speed!
1. Either the A1's built-in flash is either too weak
2. What they try to shoot is out of range
-> The ambient light which mix in with the flash at slower shutter speed cause the blurring because the subject is moving! It's not camera shake because the A1 can compensate for it.

Did you try to shoot at a static object at about the same distance instead of a moving person(s)? A more powwerful flash like the HS5600(D) or a Sigma EF500DG Super will actually select a smaller aperture blocking out the ambient light so only the output of the flash illuminate the subject (or the light beam goes father) and will freeze any subject movement all by itself (independent of the camera shutter)

I'm also with KCan... The dual-head Metz 45CT will make a big difference over a standard external strobe! You can bounce 1 head and use the 2nd head as your direct flash to get an even "professional" look with no hot spots... Theses Metz used to be the workhorse of most wedding photographers and you can get them pretty cheap on the 2nd-hand market!

Quote:
i am clueless with TTL exposure and other terms associated with flash. care to explain?
The Minolta HS5600(D) or the Sigma EF500DG Super are TTL flashes: what it means is that they their exposure measurement are made Trough The Lens -> the exposure is more accurate and the camera can still compute based on various evaluative mode or factor in the distance like the "ADI" mode on the A1, ie the flash is controlled by the camera.

The Metz 45CT is not TTL - it measures its exposure from an independent sensor on the flash head in the Auto mode, and can be affected by a filter mounted on the camera's lens for example... The camera is this case is dumb (ie the aperture/shutter is fixed by the user)

:|

BTW I look at your pictures, and in this case the photographer is at fault: the subjects are off-center and the camera focus on the wrong thing -> this is why the picture is out of focus. The person 1st need to 1/2 press the shutter centering on the person(s) to focus and then recompose (notice how sharp the background is) !!!
Are you too close under the minimum focusing distance of the camera with the fishes???
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:41 AM   #6

I guess the best solution for XoMartel is The Minolta HS5600(D) or the Sigma EF500DG Super since you need "everything auto".
NHL, you know what? I got a 3rd Metz , the old 402 ( 56 GN, midway between 45 and 60 series) just missing the battery (6V dryfit or 5 element Nicad/NiMH)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 3:59 PM   #7
NHL

I've seen a lot of theses used one lately:
http://212.87.16.223/METZ/mecablitz50mz5.pdf

... It kind of makes me itchy as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote