Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:04 AM   #1

I have a canon speedlight 299T (With the old T70 camera), will it work with camera like Fuji S7000 or Panasonic DMC-FZ10?

If yes, in what limits, can it control the camera or need only manual.

itaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:41 AM   #2

You'll notice that both of those cameras have a single pin shoe, which simply means there is no communication between the flash and the camera. Therefore, manual exposure is the only option. You will either need to meter with a handheld or just do trial and error. Good luck!
Wolfclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:55 AM   #3

The Panasonic DMC-FZ10 Manual states that other external flash units (besides the recomended Panasonic flash) are to have a trigger voltage based on ISO 10330 (less than 24 volts).
The Canon 299T flash has a trigger voltage of 4.75 volts based on the information provided on http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html.
Therefore there should be no problem caused by excessive voltage.

The camera should be set to the External Flash PRESET mode as described on page 84 of the manual. This will set the camera automatically to ISO 100 and F2.8 with a 1/60 second shutter whenever it senses the external flash is connected. The flash should be operated in F.NO SET mode with 2.8 highlighed. The ISO on the flash should be set to 100.

Since the bottom end of the focal range of the DMC-FZ10 is 35mm (equiv.), the telescopic feature of the flash should always be operated in middle 35mm setting or the 85mm setting. This should provide adequate side to side coverage and will result in a greater usable range then in the 28mm position.

My only unknown is concerning the other two contacts on the base of the flash. It appears that these will be shorted when the flash is mounted to the camera. I don't know if this will affect anything. If others have any ideas on this I would like to know.

I have tested the 299T on the DMC-FZ10 and it seems to work fine.

rick51 is offline   Reply With Quote