Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:41 AM   #1

I have recently purchased the vivitar flash for my casio exilim pro. I have set the correct settings at number 3, but when I take a picture sometimes, it actually comes out darker than with my normal camera flash. This can be frustrating at times when I get only one chance to get the picture, and it turns out extremely dark. Does anyone know the cause of this problem?
sanityfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:12 PM   #2

SPECS OF DF120 I got :

Compatible with most Digital Cameras that have a built-in flash. Embedded Intelligent Circuitry "learns" the Characteristic Flash Profile.
Ultra Compact
Acts as a slave to most Digital & film Cameras that have a built-in flash.
Features include Flash test button & Flash ready indicator
Uses 2 AAA Alkaline Batteries
Includes Strobe Holder, Multi-Angle Stand, Strobe & Camera Bracket

Type Slave Flash with holder and Brackets
Guide Number 40 (ISO 100/ft)
Auto Settings Auto
Synchronizes with up to 2 pre-flashes
Angle of Coverage Covers 35mm lens (equivalent on 35mm Cameras)
Recycle Time appx 5 sec
Power Source 2 AAA alkaline batteries
Dimensions (W x H x D) 2.17" x 1.79" x 1.02" / 55 x 45.5 x 26mm
Weight 1.6 oz / 46 g
Notes & Special Features appx 60- 80 flashes w/batteries?Color temperature 5600k

The reason that makes a picture dark is the flash firing at the wrong moment.

- Did you follows the "learning" instruction of the flash?
- Did you change the flash mode of the camera once the "learning" sequence done on the slave flash?
- This flash won't work when the camera pre-flash more than twice (according to the specs above) , this is the case of red eye reduction mode on some cameras.

BTW, you don't need absolutely a "optical slave flash" , your camera has a PC sync terminal, my first choice would be an external flash connected to that terminal, much more reliable.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:46 PM   #3

From reading that other topic, I now understand about how the picture can turn out darker. What are the exact steps for the learning mode? This is how I've done about it in the past. I put in the aa batteries and set it on 1, take a picture. Then I set it on 2 and take another picture and finally on 3 with another picture. The correct one is 3, so I just leave it there and continue to take the pictures until the battery has died.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How much are PC sync terminal flashes? I think I have already wasted my money on the Vivitar DF120
sanityfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:07 PM   #4

If you did the learning as directed in the manual, it should do the job. I can't comment further since I don't have that flash.
One thing : may be the learned information is gone (reseted) each time you turn the flash power off ??
In this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
Tomac wrote "Vivitar has to be reprogrammed each time for your camera's flash characteristics"
That's about the Vivitar DF-200, may be the DF-120 works the same way , so you have to remake it "learn" each time you turn it on .

About the second question:
Any flash can be connected via PC sync terminal (with a reserve about safetrigger voltage , very important).

The reason why people need slave flashes is that many digital camera don't have a PC sync terminal like yours.

My quick recommendation , if you allow , is that you return that slave flash, and get something like the Sunpak 383 as recommended here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

Or the Vivitar 285HV

and a bracket like this:

then last thing, a hotshoe to sync cord adapter:

Then you are set like a pro. I will cost you more or less 100 bucks (?) but I think that your camera merit that serious flash setup

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote