Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 25, 2004, 6:19 PM   #1

I'm looking for various flashes to compliment my S7000, and am looking for input??? I've heard about Vivitar 285HV & Sunpak 383 as good flash units...... but am also interested in bracket or flash handles as well as ring flash for portrait work. THANX!!
mtoolmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

First, can you use the proper name in your subject...I was looking for what an S70 is, until I realize you meant S7000.

The S7000 uses a non-TTL hotshoe so you can get away with any flash, and can use a generic bracket if you get a standard hotshoe cable which can attach to generic brackets. Same with the ringflash.

The thing you have to be concerned about is trigger voltage of the flash so it doesn't harm your camera as many flashes have trigger voltages in the hundreds of volts, while most digitals don't like above 6v...for instance the 285HV is in the safe range while the older 285 is not (one person measured 350v on their old 285). See:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:43 PM   #3

You can alsoopting (directely) for a bracket mount flash instead of considering a hotshoe flash plus a bracket.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote