Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:25 AM   #1

Hi to all, the store where I bought my camera says you can only use an olympus flash with it-which is $300 (in Australia). Before I shell out this type of money does anyone happen to know if generic flashes will work with olympus? unfortunately no olympus office here to find out. If anyone knows would be very grateful. Thanks, and best wishes
SydneyIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:00 AM   #2

Here's most of the info you'll need on external flashes with Olympus cameras:

The better ones are the TTL as they require you to do less thinking (the camera and flash talk to each other, change a setting on the camera and the flash will adjust). The best of course is the Olympus FL-40 (which can be still found used) and FL-50. Avoid the FL-20, it's seriously underpowered, and has very little features. Note that with TTL you have to get one that is digital Olympus-TTL compatible...a Canon TTL flash will be useless.

For the better flashes you will be spending more money, and can cost almost as much as the camera.

You can use ordinary standard flashes, but be aware that many flashes from just a few years ago can damage the camera due to high trigger voltages...most digital cameras don't like more than 6v connected to the hotshoe, while many battery operated flashes can have 100v or more (mine which ran on 2AAs had 225v on the hotshoe terminal):
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:59 PM   #3

Thanks Mike, I will check out the site now. Best, Avril
SydneyIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote