Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:47 PM   #1

I know this is covered quite often here, butwe are here to share ideas. I am trying to decide which flash to add to my Kodak DX6490. I have seen recommendations for both the Sunpak383 and the Metz 36-c2. Being new to flash photography, I really don't know which features are important in making the choice.

The two flashes seem very similar in many respects, including guide number, angle of coverage and price. The Metz has a considerably faster recycle time and a zoom head, but does not have manual power settings. The Sunpak is slower, without the zoom, but has manual as well as automatic settings. The Sunpak also has an off camera terminal, which I don't have the slightest idea about.

I would be most appreciative if someone could help guide me through this choice.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:12 PM   #2

I have the 383 and DX6490and would recommend you get something with a manual settings.

1) If you want to use a modifier like a softbox (like this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...690&is=REG) the automatic setup will be fooled and give you bad exposures.

2) If you want to use the zoom (like at 380mm) that sensor on the flash will no longer align with your target so it will give you strange results.

Other flashes you might want to consider:
Sunpak 544 (handle mount, more power, faster recycle)
Vivitar 285HV Like a 383 but has the zoom head.

Remember the recycle time is assuming you are firing full power. My 383 running with NIMH batteries usual does a 2-3 second recycle.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote