Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:33 PM   #1

I have had my Nikon CP5700 for over two years and, for the most part, have been satisfied. Wanting to improve some shots with fill and/or bounce flash, I just purchased a SB-50DX. With the flash mounted on the camera, everything seems to work as it should although more power would be nice for some bounce shots.

The off camera wireless feature of the 50 is where I have questions. On page 47 of the instruction manual it states that "Wireless multiple flash operation is not possible using the built in Speedlight of the Nikon COOLPIX-series digital cameras as a master flash unit". Will someone explain to me why there is this limitation? This is one feature I was looking forward to using.

This restriction is on the same page as are the instructions for "Canceling monitor Pre-Flash in multiple flash operation". Other posts indicate that the 5700 does not use a pre-flash for setting exposure. A sensor next to the internal Speedlight adjusts the duration of the flash according to the light reflected from the subject.

My tests made with the off camera flash indicate that the 50 does fire when the internal flash fires but the resulting picture is terribly overexposed. I assume that the internal flash is turned off when the proper light is measured by the sensor but the external wireless flash is not and emits full power. Is this true and is there a means to make this work? Or, is this the reason why this camera/flash wireless combination is not compatible and the camera must be manually adjusted for proper exposure?

One last question. Will any of the available economical slave units work with the 50 using bounce flash or the infrared filter and mounted on the camera?

Thank you

oldradioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links