Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:54 PM   #1

I have just purchased a PowerShot G6 and am quite happy with it, except for the re-eye problem with the internal flash. I know a hot-shoe mounted flash should alleviate this problem. Given a limited budget, however, I am looking at a third party solution for now. I was wondering if something like the Vivitar 730AFC flash (dedicated for a Canon SLR) would work. I understand that it has an auto mode, so I was thinking I could use it by putting my camera in manual mode at 1/125 (flash sync speed) and use the automatic flash function of the flash to perform my exposures. Does this sound like a feasible solution for now? Thanks.
Lyle Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:34 PM   #2

Lyle Petro wrote:
Does this sound like a feasible solution for now? Thanks.
Absolutely, FYI:

The next item of note is the G6's hot shoe. Here's where you'll attach a Canon or third-party flash. If you use the latter, you'll have to set the camera and flash settings manually. The maximum flash sync speed is 1/250 sec.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

The Canon G6 is a newer digital camera that probably has E-ttl II. If you want an fully automatic flash I would look at the Canon 420EX. But, I think a better choice might be the Sigma 500 DG Super.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote