Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1

What are also the best situations for each one.

I have used both and cannot seem to understand which one I should use is different situation (close subject, big room with not close subject, well lighted room, dark room, daylight fillflash,...). Thanks for thehelp
fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2

TTL will set the flash power according to camera exposure sensor data. Auto Aperture in the flash tells the flash to analyse the subject and decide how much flash a subject needs, using its own exposure sensor. Both use distance information from the lens to help decide the correct ammount. But there's a catch. For normal distances, not close up and not backlit, AA in my experience will yield a better exposure (the histogram curve looks better too). When you shoot backlit subjects, or when there's a strong light source within the frame, you want to use TTL. The light source will fool the flash's sensor, and in AA you'll get an under exposed shot. As for close ups, I use TTL because the flash's sensor is higher up on the camera's hot-shoe, and can't measure exactly the ammount of light that's coming from the close-up subject. It can approximate, but you might get an over exposed shot using AA for close-ups. But here's where I complicate things for ya I use a flash bracket that relocates the flash slightly up and about 5-6" fowards. It also allows me to pivot the flash foward or backward, so I can actually point the flash's sensor directly onto a close subject. In my case I use AA for close-ups since the flash is no longer in its default location, and shooting in TTL will over expose my shot. Hope I was able to help you, and not confuse you further :?

Just read the rest of your msg. For fill flash, I first turn off the flash, set the camera on P mode, take a reading using matrix metering, use that exposure data in M mode, turn flash back on, dial a -2/3EV compensation and fire away. That way the camera exposes correctly for midtones and highlights, and the flash "fills in" the shadows without blowing too much of the highlights. You may want to compensate more or less, depending on how natural or strong a fill you want on the shot.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote