Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:45 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi all,

I can't figure out whether I need the DG ST or the DG SUPER.

I'm fairly sure that I don't need any of the Canon flashes - they're too expensive.

I don't need slave or wireless slave functionality.

Mostly (90% of the time) I figure I'll be using it indoors and want to use bounce with a diffuser. Additionally (10% of the time) I expect to be using it for fill flash - possibly in bright conditions.

Now as far as I can tell the DG ST would be just fine for bounce flash. The Canon TTL metering would "just work" in P mode, and I'll probably get pretty decent results that way.

For fill flash things get more complex I think, that's when it might be useful to have the E-TTL2 support that I gather the SUPER supports, because it asks the lens how far away the subject is. But I have a suspicion that most of the time for fill flash I'll end up using the on-board flash anyway because I might not have the external flash with me.

I haven't got much of a clue when it comes to flash. I don't really have a problem with the onboard when it comes to exposure, but just that it's too head-on & harsh and bounce should be much better.

I just got given a £100 gift voucher :-) which will pretty much cover the cost of the DG ST (£117), but falls a bit short on the SUPER (£179) and my wife won't be happy with me spending more money on camera equipment this month.

If there is a METZ that's any good at around the £100 mark then I'd happily consider that too.

Advice appreciated.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:37 AM   #2

IMO you still want the "Super"!

It has the 'fast-strobe' mode which will enable:
1. High Speed Sync or FP mode
2. The modeling light which will let you 'see' the effect of shadows.
3. A very flexible "stroboscope" mode (capture a falling water drop ???)
... and finally the built-in photoeye function let you sync this head with any studio strobes in the future.

You might think you don't need the wireless function now, but eventually you'll want to 'control' your lighting with multiple heads -> this is very quick and easy with the the wireless mode!

I have several Metz too, but a good one with 'dual-head' will set you back more than a Canon...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:49 AM   #3

I've got one of the 500DG supers and it seems to work very well. About the only slightly annoying thing I have found is it has no input for an external powersource. Most people would never want to plug in a quantum, so it is not a biggie.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator

OK thanks I'll think about that.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks guys,

OK, after a bit of reading...

High speed sync is useful for fill-flash in strong light with wide lens apertures where you want to maintain background blur.

For high-speed action normal flash is better at freezing motion. Actually a faster camera sync speed would be better still - which is where Nikon scores.

1. I don't really have any fast lenses. Max aperture from my current lenses is f4! I rely on IS instead.

(NHL may laugh now but I'm the one who'll be laughing when his new telescope er... zoom gives him forearms like popeye.)

2. Not too bothered, I can see it might be useful, but with a DSLR I can just check that after the shot.

3. Could be fun, but not a serious consideration.

4. Slave units or external power thingies - not bothered.

My "serious" photos are landscape and, perhaps through ignorance, I see no real place for flash there. I just want the flash for better indoor snaps of family and friends.

Unless there's anything I've misunderstood or additional features I reckon I can get away with the ST.