Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

I have a Canon Digital Rebel - and have been considering purchasing the Sigma EF-500 DG external flash. I dropped in on my local Wolf Camera the other day, and the salesman showed me the Quantary QDC-900WA - which looks just like the Sigma. In fact, he said that Sigma makes this flash for Wolf under teh Quantary name.

Here's the link to the Wolf/Quantary flash:

Anyone have any info to confirm this? Anyone own either of these flashes? :?

stevesfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2

I had been curious about this Ritz/Wolf flash myself.

Did the camera store salesman say which Sigma flash that the Quantaray was comparable to? Neither of the 2 Sigma flashes have a Guide No of 138.

Sigma only has the the DG and the DG Super (for a few dollars more) and both have a Guide Number of 165 at 105mm. And, to me, most forum remarksseem tofavor the DG Super withhigh regard. And, they always say something like, the DG Super was almost in line with the 550EX for $379. So far, I have yet to come across a thread thatreally raved about the Quantaray.

Gotta keep in mind that Ritz/Wolf Camera do try to provide a product that will attract the attention of us budget-minded folks out here. In my case, I opted for the Canon 420EX for the same price. Maybe the Quantaray is good, and maybe it will satisfy for a while.

Let us know what you decide on.
SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:58 PM   #3

The Quantaray flash is NOT the same as the Sigma by any means. I have those in my store, and own a Sigma personally. There is more at stake than the guide number. The q-ray also cannot wirelessly slave or master, and has a slower recycle time.
The flash is manufactured by Sunpack or Sigma not sure exactly which one, but it is much more akin to the Canon 420EX.
Hope that helps,
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote