Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:57 PM   #1

I have a Canon 20D and want to get a flash. Other than the Canan 580 EX, I am considering the Metz 54M-Z.

Has anyone had any experience with the Metz? Is it worthwhile to get a Metz over a Canon?

creditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:30 AM   #2

I bought a Metz 54MZ3 last year. First used it on a Nikon 995, now on a Canon EOS 350D. The latest model is the 54MZ4, but the only difference is support for the latest Nikon SLR. If I were you I would make use of the bargain prices the 54MZ3 is sold for now. Make sure you get the latest Canon adapter though, the 3102M3.

The Metz works great and fully supports Canon ETTL.

Advantages over the Canon flashes are
1. You can use it on cameras of other brands as well by putting another adapter on it.
2. It has a pretty good automatic mode, which means that the flash reads settings from the camera (aperture, zoom, shutter), but does the metering itself. This gives you an alternative to TTL.
3. Plenty of other features, like stroboscope (nice effect for fast moving objects), full manual mode, upto 3EV exposure compensation.

The ETTL support is reverse engineered by Metz, but therefor is not 'really' the same. I have had no problems with it, though

michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:59 AM   #3

creditman wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with the Metz? Is it worthwhile to get a Metz over a Canon?
Yes - The Metz will give you a more consistent and even lighting

... possibly the only drawback is if you intend on using multiple heads, the Metz only work wirelessly among themselves - Unlike the Canon's or Sigma's which all work together. This only becomes critical if you want to control all the slaves from the camera for ratio control - more of a convenience than anything.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote