Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:08 AM   #1
Default Nikon CP950 & Vivitar 285/283

i have just inherited a vivitar 283 and a 285hv. what is the best way to make use of these with my CP950? how would i set up any flash or metering options on the camera??

thanks in advance.

mikeyinsunnyfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:17 PM   #2

1) I think you canít use ttl control with these flash

2) You can trigger the flash with Nikon connectors and wires, or use a slave cell and forced the internal flash on. A normal cheap slave cell will do b/c the 950 doesnít preflash.

3) You can use these flashes in auto mode ( auto-aperture) , but , since the 950 doesnít have full manual exposure control, you better use the S (shutter priority) mode, in opposite of aperture priority mode which fix the aperture, and here is why:
- If you use aperture priority mode, which give a fix aperture (best for the flash auto-mode), you then do not have control over shutter speed, which naturally impose you a too slow speed in low light ( the reason why you need a flash at first)
- If you use shutter priority mode, you choose the speed, which is not too hard, a 1/60 or 1/125 range will give you good picture, without movement blur. The chosen speed also determine the background exposition, not lighten by the flash.
Once the speed chosen , the camera ( in shutter priority mode) will try to open the aperture ( because you are in low light situation) , and set naturally to the widest aperture opening (which is 2.6 to 4 depending on zoom actual setting).
You then set the aperture setting on the flash accordingly.
This may seems a complex set up , but IMO, itís the best use of 950/auto-aperture-flash combination.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:47 PM   #3

thanks, KCan,

i will play around with it based on what you have written.
i have never used these flash units so im sure ill go thru a few sets of batteries figuring it out.

take care
happy holidays
mikeyinsunnyfla is offline   Reply With Quote