Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

Would like to hear experiences with this flash unit on a Sony DSC-F828. It seems to be a popular choice of external flash for this camera. Can anyone suggest alternatives, excluding the HVL32?

Danne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:11 PM   #2

I just like to make sure thatyou are aware that the sony flash is a ttl dedicated flash, and the sunpak 383 is a non-dedicatedflash, meaning you have to use it in auto mode (camera in manual or apertutre priority) , or in manual mode.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

if your camera has TTL then i'd suggest getting a TTL flash. I own the Sunpak 383 Super but it is coupled with my Panasonic Lumix FZ20, and neither of them have TTL.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The flash has three automatic settings, where you just choose the distance and it'll indicate the ISO and Aperture to use. It's good, and I suggest you get the Sto-fen OmniBounce diffuser if you're going to get it, works wonders on portraits
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:54 PM   #4

I have used the 383 for many years and it provides the most accurate exposures of any non-TTl flash I have ever used. I am using one now with a KM A-200 and a cheap slave trigger with excellent results. You have to put the on-camera flash in manual to prevent the slave from firing on the pre-flash.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote