Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Default Canon 420EX Flash Will Not FIre In Continuous Mode on G3

Canon G3 in PROGRAM mode. The 420EX flash works in single exposure mode, but, when I switch to CONTINUOUS, the 420EX never fires. In fact the lightening bolt on the rear LCD screen goes out as soon as the flash is put on the hot shoe (I had the flash set to always fire).

I called Canon tech support. He said that his does the same thing. The 420EX or the 550EX would not fire when the camera was placed in CONTINUOUS mode.

If I remove the 420EX from the hot shoe. The built-in flash works properly in CONTINUOUS mode - taking a picture whenever the flash charges up.

The problem is the internal flash is too weak because my subject is about 20 feet away.

We have a deer feeder in our back yard. My wife wants pictures of the deer at her feeder.

I bought a motion activated outside light at Wal-Mart for $8.95. I got a 12 volt solenoid from Jameco for $8.95. When motion is detected, the solenoid presses the camera button and holds it down as long as motion is detected.

I set up the G3 on a tripod in the garage. I opened the window and removed the screen so the camera had an excellent view of the feeder. I turned off the AUTO POWER-OFF feature, and, set it to manual focus on infinity.

I had it set up for several hours. When I checked it, it took a total of 4 pictures. They were all great shots of my wife filling up the feeder. It worked perfectly!

But, I need more flash power because the deer only come at night.
Ron@gbg1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links