Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:54 AM   #1
Default need help on external flash for 5700

what brands/models will work on the NIKON 5700?
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:59 AM   #2

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:00 PM   #3

Any newer Nikon AF camera TTL compatible flashes will work fine with the 5700. It does not need to be a Nikon gun. If you prefer a Nikon flash, the Sb-22s is a simple and good one. If size matters, try SB-30. However, the SB-30 and its bigger brother do not use AA batteries which could be a serious concern to many users. Nikon's SB24, 25, 26, 26 and 80DX are big guns. What you really appreciate these big guns is their output power. Most of their capabilities (AF illumination lamp, power zoom, red-eye reduction, ready/stand-by, rear-curtain sync, etc) are not available with your 5700. So, why bother to buy a big gun if you do not have a Nikon film camera? Third party flashes usually cost much less and provide essentially the same capability in terms of Coolpix's support. Good ones include Sunpak PZ4000AF and PZ5000AF.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:18 AM   #4

I am using an old Vivitar 550FD that I used to use on my analog Canon AE-1. You just have to make sure the trigger voltage is low enough. I think the manual saids it has to be lower than 20 volts, I'm not sure though because I don't have it in front of me. There is a great website that shows the voltage on alot of external flashes. I was surprised to find my Vivitar in there. It specifies that Nikon claims under 12 volts for their speedlight circuitry.
The website is
This one too with more choices.
Hope this helps. Glenn

Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote