Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

I have a Canon Speedlite 420EX and am thinking of upgrading to either the 430EX or 580EX. Exactly what advantages does the 580EX have over the 430EX? I'm leaning towards the 430EX because it seems to have all the features I need, smaller size, fast recycle time and is less $$$ than the 580EX. BUT, I'd like to hear from some you experts out there.........Thanks in advance. Steve
skhori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:28 PM   #2

Can the 430EX controls your 420EX (i.e. a Slave only) like the 580EX?

-> Otherwise the Sigma 550DG Super is still a better deal (with a higher output than the 430EX) since it's also a Master and you'll still be able to use your 420EX as well... for ratio

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:19 PM   #3

I got the 580!

I just like the feel better over the 430 and 500ef...

crazy justification for the difference in cash, right?

I just didn't want to feel limited to my flash equipment. The 580 is more powerful than the 430 and can also output a weaker flash. It can also cover a larger range. I think it's from 14-105mm.

And I'm not sure about the 430 or ef500, but on default, and on my xt, the recycle time is fast enough for 3fps. I DO NOT recall a time where I had to wait for the flash to recharge. Even on maximum output, it recharges pretty quick...

I'm probably not using it to it's potential, but I'm totally happy about the 580.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:17 AM   #4

You may be able to help me as I have just got a 580, but some of my early results were a little disappointing. I have tried all sorts of settings with some great results, but when I need to just point and shoot at gatherings etc on auto, the results are somewhat erratic.

Can you say what mode you have it on for general get together type situations indoors with different lighting conditions, if there is such an answer to my question I would be very grateful.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote