Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Default New owner of S2 Pro, a few questions

Hi gang-

I am normally a Pentax dSLR user, but someone gave me a Nikon N4004 and a bunch of very nice lenses, which I have been using to great effect with B/W film.

I wanted to get a Nikon dSLR, but the prices on ebay are nuts, so doing some searching around, I discovered Fuji dSLRs work with Nikon lenses, so I picked up a mint S2 for 200$ US

So, a few questions:

Any way to tell the shutter actuations on it?
With regards to the options for sharpening, colour and tone that can be set in the camera (org, std, hard) what should they be set for?

I PP in either lightroom or PS for things like colour, tone brightness/contrast, but that's all.

Suggestions, tips on getting the most out of the Fuji?

Attack_Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2

...someone gave me a Nikon N4004 and a bunch of very nice lenses...
Neat. You can't complain about that (especially the "bunch of very nice lenses").

I've still got a Nikon N4004s (just like the N4004 someone gave you except that you get improved Autofocus with the newer N4004s model). But, I broke the back cover latch on it a while back. It was really my fault, as I was in a big hurry changing film and didn't have the spring loaded latch release pressed far enough before I started pulling on the back cover (and that broke the latch). It held up really well until then, with thousands of photos taken with it.

As for shutter actuations on the S2 Pro, I looked at the page about Fujifilm maker notes decoded by ExifTool by Phil Harvey and I didn't notice shutter actuations as being one of the decoded tags. This tool is usually very good about decoding a lot of information from an image's metadata (a header in the images produced by the camera usually contains a lot of proprietary information in what's known as the maker notes section). I'd try it anyway and see what it finds.

But, even if this tool can't see it, the number of actuations may still be in the image metadata somewhere and other tools may have figured it out by now (developers usually have to try and reverse engineer what's being stored in an image's metadata). I haven't researched the S2 Pro metadata before. But, you may want to try the free version of IExif and see if it can decode any data related to shutter actuations from your camera (as it can decode shutter actuations information from images produced by some Nikon models, but I don't know if any progress has been made with your Fuji).

For camera settings, I'd go with the defaults for starters. If you go into your camera's setup menu, you'll find a "Reset All" menu choice for that purpose that can reset everything back to factory defaults. I've attached a screen capture of that menu option from Steve's Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Review

BTW, welcome to the forums!
Attached Images
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote