Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Aug 12, 2002, 2:32 AM   #1
Default S2 Pro- Lenses for 90% Surfing/sports

I am soon to receive my S2 pro SLR. I have selected a couple lenes I intend to buy, considering I shoot 90% surfing. Any feedback appreciated!

80-200/2.8 Nikon - I'll go with the AF-S, second hand about $1000 AUD. It gets excellent reviews, and should cover low light/DOF work and portraits.

50-500 Sigma zoom, although zooms get bad reviews, this one seems to be quite good. The S2 has dust probs, so the less I change lenses, the better off I'm going to be, especially at the beach. I've traded off 300/2.8 quality for pure reach, and economics/budget. The Sigma is around $2800AUD.

Can anyone think of a better combo for the same budget ? ($4000AUD).
My wide angle lens choice will be easier, I can hire and try first, but with the longer lenses they won't hire locally.

surfworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:45 PM   #2
Default Sigma 175-500mm

you might want to consider the Sigma 175-500- it's less money than the 50-500 and there's less of a lens compromise (the greater the focal length zoom spread availble- the more tradeoff's in optical parameters are present)
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but I've tested and now own the Sigma 50-500. In terms of my use, its truly superb with the S2. Here's a sample pic.

surfworx is offline   Reply With Quote