Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:49 PM   #1

Default HS 20 EXR. Complete Noob , need your help.

I bought this camera because I play and watch alot of sport at local clubs in the uk.

I wanted to be able to take action shots of rugby and cricket and I have got the camera home and started to play.

I have got my girlfriend to do a few cartwheels to take some continuous pic but I am disapointed how much bluring there is with action photos.

I have gone to SP1 and selected 'Sport' but still blurry, any ideas?
frenchie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2

Do you have Continuous Focus turned on? Also to be honest the HS20 is a not a sports camera. For what you said you want a D-SLR is your best bet

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:01 PM   #3

G'day Frenchie

Lots of things here mate -
Your camera is a well designed "general-purpose" camera and as P5 says above "the HS20 is a not a sports camera" - but that's okay for you as I guess that hi-speed sports stuff is not [yet] your thing

So what can you do?
ok- to successfully get moving subjects you need 2 things, a) a high shutter speed and b) good focus

To achieve this there is several things you can do to get it -
1- set ISO to 400 or maybe 800 [rather than 100 which is good for day-to-day images] - although 800 might give you a bit of 'noise' which looks a bit spotty in the images
2- set the camera to 'sports' mode OR to "S" shutter speed mode then choose 1/500 second or 1/1000 second
3- set the camera to burst [top of camera button- looks like 3 sheets of paper], then choose "Top-6"

Get your subject to jump around or something like that - cartwheels are nice but not always needed- and shoot your 6 images in qwik succession

As you examine them, select the best of the bunch and keep / print that one, delete those that are not needed as 'keepers'

Hope this helps a bit - pl come back with more Qs as they arise
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:00 PM   #4

dont give up
follow ozzie's suggestions
might get lucky with a shutter speed of 350-500
i have a friend who shot motorcross with the HS10 and got fairly good shots
but keep trying coz the hs20 should be able to handle it
of course it may not be as sharp as a DSLR but it should be acceptable without too much blur
go manual with your settings rather than sports mode
good luck
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:30 PM   #5

Did a search in Flickr for the HS20 and found this one, not the HS20, but the HS10 (so the HS20 should be capable)...

Cricket 4 by Steve Raf, on Flickr
mguffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:00 AM   #6

I have a HS35EXR, and what most people do not understand, is these cameras are glorified P&S cameras. What you need a DSLR for these cameras will not do. If you use a high ISO, and fast shutter, you will get premium noise. These cameras shine in the EXR mode, but not much else.

So if you need speed, get a DSLR. I koow they are expensive, but you pay to play.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:04 PM   #7

G'day frenchie

From the responses above you will see that there are various views here - and that's great in a world like ours ... we all have our likes & dislikes and experiences

The HS20 like all superzoom cameras is designed to provide you, the user with a very capable and competent camera "for most things". It will do lots of things 'real-well' and it will struggle with some other things. An entry-level 'beginner' dSLR is much the same in its design philosophy [compared with the up-market models from the same maker], but some of its design features perform better than the superzoom cameras - it's a fact of life

I am not advocating that you dump the superzoom for a dSLR - I suggest that you keep trying - and work within the limits of the camera's capabilities

I suggest you give your girlfriend a rest from her cartwheels and try the following:-
Set ISO = 800; Shutter to 1/1000; burst to 'lo-speed' and focus to 'auto tracking'

Locate somewhere close to home where you have health-fitness joggers/runners and sit down and shoot them ~ the same could be cyclists; horse riders etc etc

This will tell you whether the camera capable of successfully capturing movement that is 'controlled & predictable' under daylight conditions ~ and from this your directions for your photography will go

If / when you decide to start with local sports activities then I also suggest several other things as well

From the sidelines, your zoom lens will not pick up facial features like you see in the papers ~ these photographers are using lenses that you & I need to sell our motor car to buy the lens

1) with your camera - ANY superzoom camera over about 12x zoom, you will find camera shake unless you support the camera via a monopod or tripod. I use a monopod [the same applies with a dSLR over 200mm of lens]
2) with your camera on burst - and I use lo-speed burst to get some image separation during the action - and with an ISO of 800 / 1000 - and using a shutter speed of 1/1000 to 1/2000 range, now go and try your local cricket team

Here's 3 images from my local cricket oval [from a couple of years ago]

1- facing the ball

2- oops - missed !

3- OUT - howzat !

The camera was on 20x zoom; iso-800; 1/1000s x f7,1; sunny day

Hope this helps a bit ~ keep trying
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote