Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

Fuji has issued a service advisory regarding problems some Fuji S2 Pro owners may have with this cameral, with a list of serial numbers that may be impacted.

Fujifilm Service Advistory

Here is a quote from it:

FUJI PHOTO FILM U.S.A., INC. announces that some of the FinePix S2 Pro digital camera models may develop a problem with the CCD imaging sensor. During a certain period in the production process, there was a lack of uniformity in the quality of the CCD. It was determined that this problem may happen due to a combination of CCD quality and usage/storage conditions or age deterioration. However, the problem affects a limited number of units and may not occur in all cameras.

The symptom is captured images that appear completely black, have a purplish cast or multi- colored distortions.
And further down after the serial number list:

If your camera serial number is on the list and experiences the symptoms described above and has no other additional damage/malfunction, FUJI PHOTO FILM U.S.A., INC. will repair your camera at no charge, even if your standard one-year limited warranty has expired. If your camera is beyond the standard one year, limited warranty period, you will receive a written estimate for any additional damages or malfunctions not listed in this Service Advisory.

This announcement is issued by FUJI PHOTO FILM U.S.A., INC. and is limited to only those Fujifilm products imported to the U.S.A. by FUJI PHOTO FILM U.S.A., INC. and sold by FUJI PHOTO FILM U.S.A., INC. to authorized dealers.

Package the camera carefully using ample padded material to prevent damage in transit. Include your name, address and phone number with the shipment as well as a general description of the problem. Keep a record of the camera's serial number and shipment tracking number. Ship your camera to the Fuji Service Center noted below:

Fuji Photo Film U.S.A., Inc.
1100 King George Post Rd.
Edison, NJ 08837
Attn: Camera Repair Dept./CCD Advisory
I'm sure some of you may be glad to see this advisory, as I've been seeing these issues reported for a long time now by some S2 Pro owners. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

hi, do you know if this ccd problem has affected either the s1 pro(which i have got as my first starter digital camera, got it very cheap) or the s3 pro?. thanks
nelly3164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:00 PM   #3

First of all, Hi to everyone as I am just joint forum today

I am a later 'victim' of S2 CCD problem. It couldn't be any worst in time when it happened to me. It was during the Christmas (Christmas day to be exact), and I was taking some family shots with all the visiting relatives. All od sudden, the picture just showed black (I had postview turned on). I knew it had be CCD related since all the other function are fine include the playback. I was not aware of the CCD re-call. Since it was way out of warranty, I assumed that would be a big expense to fix. I waited next day to contact Fuji and figure if the cost is too big, I would opt to get another one, figure might be able to get a good price on S3 since S5 is on its way..... Out of surprise, the CSR at Fuji informed me the CCD re-call and asked me send it in for no cost repaire (CCD replacement). A week late, I got my S2 back and hopefully it will last for many more years........

Bottom line, a happy ending
hzhao is offline   Reply With Quote